Difference between revisions of "Virginia's Powhatan Light Artillery"
From FamilySearch Wiki
(Linked Company to county)
|Line 22:||Line 22:|
Revision as of 02:35, 11 December 2015
- Organized in July 1861
- The unit served in the Army of Northern Virginia assigned to J. I Brown's and R. A. Hardaway's Battalion of Artillery.
- It was on duty in the Richmond area, then fought in various conflicts from the Maryland Campaign to Cold Harbor.
- Later it participated in the Petersburg siege south of the James River and the Appomattox Campaign.
- The battery lost twenty percent of the 78 engaged at Gettysburg and had many captured at Sayler's Creek on April 6, 1865.
- Only I man surrendered with the army.
- Captain Willis J. Dance was in command.
- AKA - Dance's Company, Virginia Artillery
men raised in Powhatan County