Vernon County, Missouri Genealogy
Vernon County; 100 W Cherry St; Nevada, MO 64772; Ph. 417.448.2500 Details: (Vernon created 17 Feb 1851, but act was declared unconstitutional since its territory was exactly that of bates Co; legally created 27 Feb 1855; reorganized 17 Oct 1865 after total suspension of civil order during Civil War; Courthouse destroyed during that period, but clk had taken the rec with him when he joined the army and all rec were later recovered, except the deed book) (Co Clk has b & d rec 1883-1904; Redf Deeds has m & land rec; Clk Cir Ct has div & ct rec; Pro Ct has pro rec; Co Hist Soc has bur rec)
- 1 History
- 2 Places / Localities
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
- See an interactive map of Vernon County border changes at N2Genealogy.
Places / Localities
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
For tips on accessing Vernon County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
- Map of Vernon County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Vernon County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
Civil War Battles
The following Civil War Battles was fought in Vernon County
Map showing Civil War battles in Missouri
Vernon County Probate Index, 1855-1963 On-line. Index may be searched by surname of the deceased, the administrator or the heirs. Record copies may be ordered for a nominal sum. The index provides the following:
• Deceased surname
• Deceased given name
• Comment re deceased
• File type
• Date of Probate
• Administrator surname
• Administrator given name
• Heirs surname
• Heirs given name
• Relationship to Deceased
• Field 12
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 9 August 2012)
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 15 August 2012)