Vermont in the War of 1812
During the War of 1812, Vermont furnished 4,853 infantry men, 243 cavalry men, and 140 artillery men for a total of 5,236 men.
Explanation of the Major Record Types
- Pearson, Thomas A., comp. Genealogical Records of the War of 1812: an Introduction and Selected Bibliography of Materials in the Collection of St. Louis Public Library. (St. Louis, Missouri: St. Louis Public Library, July 2004).
- Vermont War of 1812. (Free). Digital books. FamilySearch. Family History Books. This has a list of links to digitized books.
- Ancestry. War of 1812 Service Records. ($) This database gives name, company, rank at time of induction and at time of discharge of men mustered into the armed forces between 1812 and 1825.
- Frost, Josephine C. and Louise Mary Blakeney Fisher, Adele Sabin Blakeney, Peronne Whittake and Daniel Whipple Church Ancestors of Benjamin Ferris Blakeney and his wife Stella Peronne Sabin : showing lines of descent from the Belden, Fenner, Greene, Montague, Northup, Seymour, Waldron and Whipple families; also the life of Daniel Whipple Church, written by himself, giving an account of the struggle for independence in Vermont, and of the War of 1812 along the St. Lawrence River FHL Film 6052859
- Roster of soldiers in the War of 1812-14 (St Albans, Vermont, Messenger Press, 1933) pages 474 FHL Book 974.3 M2
A soldier may have been recorded in state records (see below) or in federal records (see US War of 1812 Pension Records).
- Clark, Byron, ed. A List of Pensioners of the War of 1812 . (Burlinton and Boston: Research Publication,(1904). (Free). Digital images of army pay and muster rolls available at Archive.org, FamilySearch Books, and Google Books.
- Clark, Byron N, A List of pensioners of the War of 1812;: with an appendix containing names of volunteers for the defence of Plattsburgh from Vermont towns, a description of the battle from contemporaneous sources, the official statement of losses, and names of United States officers and soldiers at Burlington, Vermont, as shown on army pay and muster rolls recently brought to light  (Baltimore, Maryland,(1969) page 171. FHL Book 974.3 M2
- Fold3. Vermont War of 1812 Pension Files. (Free). Alphabetized by surname. Shows the entire pension file for those digitized. Incomplete as of 1 June 2012.
- Ansley, Norman and Adams, Richard K. Vergennes, Vermont, and the War of 1812 (Severna Park, Maryland: brooke Keefer Limited Editions, c1999) FHL Book 974.35 V1 M2
- Wesley Potter Kremer. 100 Great Battles of the Rebellion;...Also, All the Battles of the Revolution, War of 1812-5, Mexican War, Indian Battles, American-Spanish War, and Naval Battles. (Hoboken, N.J.: s.n., 1906), p. 326. Internet Archive.