Difference between revisions of "Vermillion County, Indiana Genealogy"
(Added Family History Center link)
(added vital templates repositories)
|Line 189:||Line 189:|
===== Death Records =====
===== Death Records =====
==== Voting Registration ====
==== Voting Registration ====
Revision as of 21:08, 23 July 2013
Guide to Vermillion County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Vermillion County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||January 2, 1824|
|Address|| Vermillion County Courthouse|
Newport, IN 47966-0008
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Vermillion County, Indiana Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Business Records
- 2.3 Cemeteries
- 2.4 Census Records
- 2.5 Church Records
- 2.6 Court Records
- 2.7 Directories
- 2.8 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.9 Ethnic and Religious Groups
- 2.10 Gazetteers
- 2.11 Genealogies
- 2.12 History
- 2.13 Land and Property
- 2.14 Maps
- 2.15 Migration
- 2.16 Military
- 2.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.18 Newspapers
- 2.19 Obituaries
- 2.20 Occupations
- 2.21 Periodicals
- 2.22 Probate Records
- 2.23 Public Records
- 2.24 Repositories
- 2.25 = County Courthouse
- 2.26 Taxation
- 2.27 Vital Records
- 2.28 Voting Registration
- 3 Vermillion County, Indiana Web Sites
- 4 Vermillion County, Indiana References
Vermillion County, Indiana Resources
- Cemeteries of Vermillion CountyLinkpendium
For tips on accessing Vermillion County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Vermillion County, Indiana (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Residents in Vermillion County, Indiana (1874) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository.
For more information about these major repositories, see Indiana Church Records.
- Directory of Businesses in Newport, Vermillion County, Indiana (1858) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
- B.F. Bowen & Co. History of Parke and Vermillion Counties, Indiana: With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. (Indianapolis: B.F. Bowen, 1913.) 977.2 H2hpv FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collectionother libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
- Biographical and Historical Record of Vermillion County, Indiana: Containing Portraits of All the Presidents of the United States from Washington to Cleveland, with Accompanying Biographies of Each: a Condensed History of the State of Indiana: Portraits and Biographies of Some of the Prominent Men of the State: Engravings of Prominent Citizens in Vermillion County, with Personal Histories of Many of the Leading Families, and a Concise History of the County and Its Villages. (La Crosse, Wis: Brookhaven Press, 2002.) other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
After land was transferred from the government to private ownership, subsequent transactions were recorded at the courthouse, where records are currently housed.
See Indiana Land and Property for additional information about early Indiana land grants and patents.
- Early Villages Platted in Vermillion County ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- List of Pensioners on the Roll January 1, 1883 Vermillion County, Indiana (Source:Internet Archive)
- Revolutionary War 1775-1783
- Revolutionary War Soldiers of Vermillion County (Source: Wabash Valley Visions & Voices)
War of 1812
Civil War service men from Vermillion County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Vermillion County.
- 6th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Companies A, L and M
- 7th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company D
- 14th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 18th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 24th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
- 43rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company I
- 48th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 85th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 97th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 115th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (6 months, 1863-4), Company E
- 129th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 149th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, and E
- 152nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
Civil War Books
- "Military History Of Vermillion County" Chapter 6 in B.F. Bowen & Co. History of Parke and Vermillion Counties, Indiana: With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. (Indianapolis: B.F. Bowen, 1913 ), (page 268-288, Regiment, Companies; "Knight Of The Golden Circle", page 272; Soldier's Diary, Page 283-288),977.2 H2hpv FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collectionother libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
- World War I 1914-1918
- Men and Women who Died in the Service of the United States and the Allied Nations in the World War 1914-1918 (Source: Genealogy Trails History Group)
- World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Vermillion County (Source: Explore Ancestry. com ) ($)
- World War II 1941-1945
- Vermillion County, Indiana World War II Casualties, Army and Army Air Corps (Source: AccessGenealogy)
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Newspaper RecordsLinkpendium
= County Courthouse
Vermillion County Courthouse
Newport, IN 47966-0008
County Health Department has birth and death records from 1882
County Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate and court records from 1824
County Recorder has land records. 
Family History Centers
The main FamilySearch Center for Vermillion County, Indiana Genealogy is the
For additional nearby Family History Centers, search online in the [Family History Center directory].
Indiana tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties.
For more information see the wiki page Indiana Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Indiana law in 1882 required registration of births and deaths in counties. The Indiana Department of Health has birth records filed after October 1907 and death records filed after January 1900 for deaths. Copies may be obtained from the county health department or the Indiana State Division of Vital Records. See also How to order Indiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
Marriage licenses were required by counties beginning in 1800. Original marriage records are held at the office of the Vermillion County, Indiana Genealogy County Clerk with divorce records located with the Vermillion County, Indiana Genealogy Clerk of Courts.
Finding Vital Records at Other Repositories
Additional vital records can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Vermillion County, Indiana Genealogy Vital Records in online catalogs like:
- WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Vermillion County, Indiana Web Sites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Vermillion County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Vermillion County, Indiana References
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Vermillion County, Indiana 217 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.