Vermilion County, Illinois Genealogy
|Vermilion County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||January 18, 1826|
|Address|| 6 N. Vermilion|
Danville, IL 61832-5879
|Named for: Vermilion River|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Parent County
- 4 Boundary Changes
- 5 Record Loss
- 6 Places / Localities
- 7 Resources
- 8 Societies and Libraries
- 9 Web Sites
- 10 References
The county was named after the Vermilion River.
- 1826--Vermilion County was created 18 January 1826 from unorganized territory and Edgar County.County seat: Danville 
- 1823-1826 Edgar
- 1819-1823 Clark
- 1816-1819 Crawford
- 1815-1816 Edwards
- 1812-1815 madison
- 1801-1812 St. Clair
- 1790-1803 Knox, Northwest Territory
1872 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
- Benton County, Indiana
- Vermillion County, Indiana
- Warren County, Indiana
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Archives and Libraries
Illinois Regional Archives Depository
Illinois State Universtiy
2016 Warehouse Road Campus
Normal, Illinois 61802
Illinois Regional Archives Depository System - Local Governmental Records Listings Arranged by County
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Vermilion County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Vermilion Co.IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Vermilion County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Vermilion County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Vermilion County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Vermilion County.
- - 38th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company K.
- - 51st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company E.
- - 71st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company A.
- - 73rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies C and E.
- - 73rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company E.
- - 79th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company A.
1826-1860 Probate Case Files -IRAD-ISU
1912-1938 School Student Permanent Record, High School - IRAD-ISU
The website of the Vermilion County Clerk explains how to order copies of birth, marriage, and death records.
1877-1901 Birth Record Index - IRAD-ISU
1877-1903 Birth Record - IRAD-ISU
1906-1907 Birth Records for the city of Indianola - IRAD-ISU
1826-1903 Marriage Record Index - IRAD-ISU
1826-1858 Marriage Licenses - IRAD-ISU
1826-1900 Marriage Record - IRAD-ISU
1833-1852 Marriage Licenses, Minors - IRAD-ISU
1877-1907 Death Record Index - IRAD-ISU
1877-1903 Death Records- IRAD-ISU
1878-1917 Death Records, Stillbirths - IRAD-ISU
Pape Funeral Homes Obiturary Records for Vermilion County, Illinois
Pape Mortuary, 10 E. Williams Street, Danville, Illinois this site has 275,000 records, list of death records from 1800's to the pressent. The records included surrounding areas including some near by Indiana counties.
Societies and Libraries
Databases Pertinent to Vermilion County
Local Governmental Records Database
Name Index to Illinois Local Governments
Illinois Statewide Marriage Index
Illinois Statewide Death Index, 1916–1950
Illinois Public Domain Land Tract Sales Database
Federal Township Plats of Illinois
Vermilion County Coroner's Inquest Files Index (1908–1956)
- Family History Library Catalog
- Vermillion County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).