Vermilion County, Illinois Genealogy
|Vermilion County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||January 18, 1826|
|Address|| 6 N. Vermilion|
Danville, IL 61832-5879
|Named for: Vermilion River|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
- 1826--Vermilion County was created 18 January 1826 from unorganized territory and Edgar County. County seat: Danville 
1872 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
- Benton County, Indiana
- Vermillion County, Indiana
- Warren County, Indiana
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Vermilion County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Vermilion Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Vermilion County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Vermilion County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Vermilion County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Vermilion County.
- - 51st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company E.
- - 71st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company A.
- - 73rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies C and E.
- - 73rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company E.
- - 79th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company A.
Pape Funeral Homes Obiturary Records for Vermilion County, Illinois
Societies and Libraries
- Family History Library Catalog
- Vermillion County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).