Ventura County, California Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Quick Facts
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Archives and Libraries
- 4.2 Cemeteries
- 4.3 Census
- 4.4 Court Records
- 4.5 Directories
- 4.6 History
- 4.7 Maps
- 4.8 Military History and Records
- 4.9 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 4.10 Newspapers
- 4.11 Probate Records
- 4.12 Taxation
- 4.13 Vital Records
- 5 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Mission San Buenaventura, one of the original 21 Roman Catholic missions in Alta California was founded in what is now downtown Ventura city in 1782 although it had a long rocky history including fires, earthquakes, tsunami and pirates, among other difficulties. The mission fathers kept the original vital records.
The costal plains and inland valleys are mostly devoted to agriculture even today but the costal mountains also cover a considerable part of the county. El Camino Real, the original roadway connecting the early missions, crosses the county. In the late 1800s the railroads came and in the 1900s US-101 followed essentially the Camino Real route heading north to Santa Barbara. Settlements mainly grew up along these routes.
Camarillo, Fillmore, Hueneme, Moorpark, Nyeland Acres, Newbury Park, Oak View, Ojai, Oxnard, Piru, Santa Paula, Simi, Somis, Thousand Oaks, Ventura
Archives and Libraries
Church History and Records
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Land and Property
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
The County Recorder maintains records from 1873. Prior to that the Santa Barbara Recorder has the records. Ventura County Recorder fees: $14 to search and/or copy birth and death records, $12 to search and/or copy marriage records.
Societies, Libraries and Museums
- Ventura County Museum of History and Art The museum is currently closed for renovation, though a temporary exhibit space and gift shop are open on California St. The Librarian is available to answer question by phone. Once the museum is reopened the Library is an excellent research resource.
- Jewish Genealogical Society of the Conejo Valley and Ventura County
- Scandinavian Center. Scandinavian American Cultural and Historical Foundation at California Lutheran University. Large oral history recordings collection; many early works about Scandinavian churches in Midwest United States. See library catalog at CLU.
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Camarillo California Family History Center
- Camarillo, California
- Fillmore California Family History Center
- Fillmore, California
- Newbury Park California Family History Center
- Newbury Park, California
- Ventura County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives backup site
- FamilySearch Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).