Van Wert County, Ohio Genealogy
|Van Wert County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Created||April 1, 1820|
|County Seat||Van Wert|
|Address|| Van Wert Courthouse|
101 E. Main St.
Van Wert, Ohio 45891
Van Wert Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Historical Facts
- 3 Resources
- 3.1 Bible Records
- 3.2 Biography
- 3.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 3.4 Cemeteries
- 3.5 Census
- 3.6 Church Records
- 3.7 Court Records
- 3.8 Emigration and Immigration
- 3.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 3.10 Gazetteers
- 3.11 Genealogy
- 3.12 History
- 3.13 Land and Property
- 3.14 Maps
- 3.15 Military
- 3.16 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 3.17 Newspapers
- 3.18 Obituaries
- 3.19 Periodicals
- 3.20 Probate
- 3.21 Public Records
- 3.22 Repositories
- 3.23 Taxation
- 3.24 Vital Records
- 4 Web Sites
- 5 Places
- 6 References
Van Wert County Courthouse
121 E Main Street 2nd Floor
Van Wert, OH 45891
Clerk Court has divorce and court records;
Probate Judge has birth and death records 1867-1908,
marriage records from 1840 and probate records from 1837;
Board of Health has birth and death records from 1908;
County Recorder has land records from 1823
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Darke, Shelby, and Mercer Counties in 1820 (1837).
- County Seat: Van Wert
- Neighboring Counties: Van Wert County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Paulding (north) · Mercer (south) · Putnam (northeast) · Allen and Auglaize (southeast) · Adams County, Indiana (west) · Allen County, Indiana (northwest)
See an interactive map of Van Wert County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Civil War service men from Van Wert County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Van Wert County.
- -99th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Company A
Naturalization and Citizenship
Family History Centers
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Wikipedia contributors, "Van Wert County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Wert_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).