Uvalde County, Texas Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Uvalde County has been home to five courthouses. The first courthouse was completed in May 1857, with the first floor of the building housing the courthouse and jail, in rooms with 9' tall ceilings. The second floor, used for county offices had ceilings that were 5' tall at the eves. The 1870 courthouse was a cypress wood frame building. A fourth courthouse was built in 1877. In 1890, an ornate Second Empire style courthouse topped with a clock tower and lightning rods was built. In 1927, the construction began on the current courthouse, shown at right, a brick and concrete structure. The building is a Recorded Texas Landmark. 
Uvalde County Courthouse
Ramona Hobbs, County Clerk
Corner of Main (U.S. 90) and Getty
P.O. Box 284
Uvalde, Texas 78802-0284
Uvalde County Government Website
Inventory of the county archives of Texas : Uvalde County, no. 232, 1941. Historical Records Survey. Inventory of records housed in the Uvalde County Courthouse as of 1936-1937. Digital book on line at the Portal to Texas History.
The first Anglo-American settlers arrived in 1852. The name Uvalde was originally known as "Ugalde".
Places / Localities
Knippa | Sabinal | Utopia | Uvalde | Uvalde Estates
- Oldtimers: Frontier Days in the Uvalde Section of Southwest Texas, 1939, by Florence Fenley.
- A Proud Heritage: A History of Uvalde County, 1975.
- Uvalde County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Uvalde County Births - How to Get a Birth Record
- Uvalde County Marriages - How to Get a Marriage Record
- Uvalde County Deaths - How to Get a Death Record
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- HistoricTexas.net: Uvalde County http://www3.historictexas.net/uvalde-county-texas
- Inventory of the county archives of Texas : Uvalde County, no. 232, Book, May 1941
- Historical Marker: Uvalde County Courthouse, located at the corner of Main (Hwy 90) and Getty, Uvalde.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handbook of Texas Online: Uvalde County http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hcu03