|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
Ancestral Homeland: Utah, New Mexico and Colorado
Bands: Muache, Capote, Weeminuche, Uncompahgre (Taviwach), White River (Parusanuch and Yampa), Uintah, Timpanogots, Sanpits, and Moanunts
Bands in Colorado: Muache, Capote, Weeminuche, Uncompahgre, Parusanuch and Yampa
Bands in Utah: Uintah, Timpanogots, Pahvant, Sanpits and Moanunts.
Population: 1990: 7,273 (Northern Ute 2,650, Ute Mountain 1,264, Southern Ute 1,044 others off reservations)
- 1 History
- 2 Bureau of Indian Affairs Jurisdictions
- 3 Records
- 4 Superintendencies
- 5 Tribal Headquarters
- 6 Records
- 7 Important Web Sites
- 8 References
- 9 Bibliography
- 1849: Treaty
- 1853: Walker War
- 1860: Black Hawk War
- 1861: Uintah and Ouray Utes of Utah terminated, Tribal membership 490, Tribal land 211,430
- 1863: Treaty
- 1868: Treaty
- 1873: Weminuche, Mouache and Capote bands relocate to Pine River in southwestern Colorado. (today: Soutern Ute and Ute Mountain Reservations)
- 1879: Meeker Massacre, Utes kill 13 U.S. soldiers and 10 agency officials (Meeker had plowed under the White River band's horse-racing tract.)
- 1895: Weminuche band moves to Southern Ute Reservation and become Ute Mountain
Southern Ute Reservation - Colorado- descendants of Muache and Capote bands
Ute Mountain Reservation - Colorado-Weeminuche
Uintah-Ouray Reservation - Utah - Uncompahgre (Taviwach), White River (Parusanuch and Yampa), Uintah, Timpanogots, Sanpits, and Moanunts
Additional References to the History of the Tribe
Bureau of Indian Affairs Jurisdictions
The following Agencies of the Bureau of Indian Affairs had jurisdiction over all or part of the Ute Indians for the years indicated:
- Consolidated Ute -- Southern Ute
- Fort Lewis -- Southern Ute
- Navajo Springs -- Southern Ute
- Southern Ute -- Southern Ute
- Uintah Valley
- Uintah and Ouray -- Uncompahgre Ute Band, White River Band
- Ute Mountain -- Southern Ute
Ute Indian Tribe of the Uintah & Ouray Reservation
P.O. Box 190
Ft. Duchesne, UT 84026
Correspondence and Census
|Tribe||Agency||Location of Original Records||
M234 RG 75 Rolls 962
M595 RG 75 Rolls 693
|Ute||Santa Fe Agency||Washington D.C.||Roll 767||-||-||-|
|Ute||Paiute Agency, 1926-39||Denver||-||-||Rolls 330-34||579740-579744|
|Ute||Uintah and Ouray Agency, 1897-1952||Denver||-||-||Rolls 608-15, 628||583067-583074|
|Ute, Consolidated||Consolidated Ute Agency, 1878-1952||Denver||-||-||Rolls 77-78, 628||575769-70|
|Moache Ute||Abiquiu and Cimarron Agencies, 1869-82||Denver||-||-||-||-|
|Ute, Southern||Southern and Consolidated Ute Agencies||Denver||-||-||Rolls 543-45, 628||-|
|Uintah Ute||Uintah and Ouray Agency, 1897-1952||Denver||-||-||Rolls 608-15||583067-074|
|Uncompahgre Ute||Uintah and Ouray Agencyies, 1897-1952||Denver||-||-||Rolls 608-12||583067-074|
|Ute-Tabaquache||New Mexico Superintendency, to 1861||Washington D.C.||-||-||-||-|
- 1954 Propoed rolls Full Blood and Mixed Blood of the Ute Tribe of Uintah and Ouray Reservation in Utah www.accessgenealogy.com
- 1849 December 30,
- 1863 October 7, with the Tabeguache Band
- 1868 March 2, at Washington, with the Tabaguache, Muache, Capote, Weeminuche, Yampa, Grand River and Uinta bands
- Uintah and Ouray Agency, M595, births and deaths 1924-1932, FHL Film: 583072
- Consolidated Ute Agency, M595, births and deaths 1924-1931, FHL Film: 575769 and births and deaths 1931-1939, FHL Film: 575770
Important Web Sites
- Constitution and By-laws of the Ute Indian Tribe of the Uintah and Ouray Reservation
- The Ute Indian Tribe Official Website
- Ute Tribe Wikipedia
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published