User:NelsonKC/Sandbox/Connecticut, Crew Lists, 1792-1932 (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
|This article describes a collection of records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
|Connecticut, United States|
|Flag of the United States of America|
|US Flag 1777-1795 (13 stars)|
|National Archives and Records Administration Logo|
|Record Group||RG 36: Records of the U.S. Customs Service, RG 26: Records of the United States Coast Guard (USCG)|
|National Archives and Records Administration|
What is in This Collection?Edit
This collection includes records for the years 1792-1932.
This collection contains crew lists from ports in Connecticut. Crew Lists provide name, age, gender, occupation or position, and citizenship, along with other information. Ports included in this collection are Bridgeport, Hartford, New Haven, New London, and Stonington. The collections are located at the National Archives in Waltham.
- Records Relating to Crew Lists, 1802-1900. Department of the Treasury. Customs Service. Collection District of Bridgeport, Connecticut. Office of the Collector of Customs. RG 36 Records of the U.S. Customs Service. NAID 5717212
- Records Relating to Crew Lists, 1825-1932. Department of Commerce. Bureau of Navigation. District of Bridgeport (Connecticut). Department of the Treasury. Customs Service. Collection District of Fairfield, Connecticut. RG 26 Records of the U.S. Coast Guard. NAID 6160475
- Crew Lists, 1803-1873. Department of the Treasury. Customs Service. Collection District of Middleton, Connecticut. RG 36 Records of the U.S. Customs Service. NAID 5641540
- Records Relating to Crew Lists, 1801-1911. Department of the Treasury. Customs Service. Collection District of New Haven, Connecticut. RG 36 Records of the U.S. Customs Service. NAID 5722999
- Crew Lists, 1792-1923. Department of Commerce. Bureau of Navigation. District of New London. Department of the Treasury. Customs Service. Collection District of New London, Connecticut. Office of the Collector of Customs. RG 26 Records of the U.S. Coast Guard. NAID 4796024
- Crew List Bonds, 1842-1858. Department of the treasury. Customs Service. Collection District of Stonington, Connecticut. Office of the Collector of Customs. RG 26 Records of the U.S. Coast Guard. NAID 4656338
To Browse This CollectionEdit
|You will be able to browse through images in this collection when it is published.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?Edit
A Crew List may contain the following information:
- Name of the vessel
- Name of the Master
- Name of the crew member
- Place of birth
- Physical characteristics
How Do I Search the Collection?Edit
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the individual
- The approximate age or birth date
View the ImagesEdit
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the Surname Range to view the images
How Do I Analyze the Results?Edit
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a Research Log.
What Do I Do Next?Edit
I Found Who I Was Looking For, What Now?Edit
- Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members
- Print or download a copy of the record, or extract the genealogical information needed
- Use the person's name and place of birth to find a birth certificate which should list the names of the parents
- Use the country of citizenship to lead you to immigration or naturalization records
- Use the person’s age and residence to find the family in census, church, and land records
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
- Census, military service, military pension, immigration, naturalization, and land records can be very useful
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For, What Now?Edit
- Look for variant spellings of the names. Pay special attention to how the name should have been pronounced and try variations on the pronunciation
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
- Search the records of nearby localities
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Connecticut.
Citing this CollectionEdit
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
A citation will be available on the Collection Details page when the collection is published.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?Edit
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.