I have been doing genealogy for the past 20 years. But, as an academically trained historian I realize that genealogy is more than just names with birth and death dates attached. These were people with jobs, and families, and, well... lives! Understanding the historical context of the times they lived, I can help you make more sense of the world they inhabited.
I specialize in Ohio, Maryland, England, and Germany. Services include:
- Researching ancestral lines
- Building multiple-name family trees
- Simple record lookups
- Family home or gravestone photographs (Central Ohio only)
- Attacking research problems (maiden names, common names, re-marriages, etc.)
- Video interviews/oral histories with living family members
- Document transcription
- Document translation (from German or French into English)
- Writing and editing family histories for preservation and sharing
- All research is documented with complete source citations.
- B.A. in history; focus: 16-19th century Europe and 19th/20th century immigration to the United States, University of MD Baltimore County, 2007.
- M.A. Historical Studies/Public History, University of Maryland Baltimore County, 2011.
- I have lived in both England (3 years) and Germany (6 years), so I not only understand the respositories, but also the culture.
- Completed historical work for the National Park Service, the Smithsonian National Museum of American History, the Junior League of Baltimore, Hampton Community Association (Baltimore)
- Oral history interviews and classes for Baltimore Heritage, Junior League of Baltimore, University of Maryland Baltimore County, and the Baltimore County Bar Association.
- “Immigration through the Port of Baltimore, 1868-1914,” Review 7 (2006): 86-97.
- Contributing Editor, “Baltimore County Public Schools History Labs Program,” Center for History Education, University of Maryland Baltimore County. Ongoing.
Example of Oral History
- Transforming Athena (2011), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W_QYFwaaPI
Laura Marshallsay/Marshallsay Historical Consulting is a proud member of:
- The Association of Professional Genealogists
- The Ohio Genealogical Society
- The Delaware County Genealogical Society
- National Council for Public History
- Oral History Association
Initial consultations are always free.