Benning Wentworth, governor of New Hampshire, granted the charter of Clarendon to Caleb Williams and others on September 5, 1761, dividing the town into seventy shares, containing 23,600 acres. Clarendon is almost purely an agricultural district. The surface is diversified with hills, mountains and valleys, and several considerable streams drain the town. The town is bounded on the north by Rutland, east by Shrewsbury,south by Wallingford and Tinmouth, and west by Ira. Clarendon is split into the villages of Clarendon, West Clarendon, East Clarendon, Clarendon Springs, and North Clarendon.
In 1810 Clarendon had 1,797 inhabitants. The population in 2010 was 2571.people.
In the early period the people were industrious and economical, their garments
homemade, their habits simple. They cut down the forests, cleared the
land, made the roads, fences and houses, some of which remain to this day.
Nearly all of the early industries, except farming, as well as the mercantile
business, which for many years gave Clarendon a position as a leading town in
the county, have been given up, mainly due to the building of the railroads.
The Rutland and Bennington Railroad crosses the town north and south, and
the Vermont Central crosses the northeast corner of the town. These improvements only served to carry to other cities/towns (principally) to Rutland) the business of the locality.
Rutland Herald online at this link
Libraries and Historical Societies