The Original Town of Rutland was chartered in 1761 and was later divided into the Town of Proctor, the Town of West Rutland and the City of Rutland. At the same time Proctor and West Rutland were created, the village of Rutland was incorporated to give it partly independent status. Six years later, it was made a wholly independent city and Rutland City was incorporated as Vermont's third city on November 18, 1892.
Today the City of Rutland is a shire town and the county seat of Rutland County.
- Rutland in Retrospect, West, Robert Edward; White, Robert T.; Rutland Historical Society (Vt.), Published by Rutland Historical Society, Rutland, 1978. Find a copy in a library.
- The Vermont State Fair takes place in Rutland VT. The History of the Fair Since 1846 is online.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
Rutland Probate Court
83 Center Street
Rutland, VT 05701
City of Rutland directories ftom the year range of 1872 through 1964 can be found on Ancestry.com ($) at this link.
The FamilySearch Library Catalog has several microfilm of Rutland City Directories.
The following is a list of cemeteries in present-day City of Rutland. For location of cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Rutland County, website at this link.
- Calvary Cemetery
- Grace Congregational Church Memorial Garden
- House of Correction Cemetery
- North Main Street Cemetery
- Old West Street Cemetery
- Saint Josephs Cemetery
- The Church Cemetery
- Trinity Episcapol Church Memorial Garden
- West Street Cemetery
Christ The King Roman Catholic Church
66 S Main St Rutland, VT 05701
Phone: (802) 773-8992
Immaculate Heart-Mary Church
18 Lincoln Ave, Rutland, VT 05701
Phone: (802) 775-0845
St Peter Catholic Church
134 Convent Ave, Rutland, VT 05701
Phone: (802) 775-1994
Vital records (birth, death, marriage, and naturalization) can be obtained from the Rutland City Clerks Office online.
Rutland City Clerk
PO Box 969
Rutland, VT 05702
Rutland Herald online at this link.
Libraries and Historical Societies
Rutland Free Library
10 Court St.
Rutland, VT 05701
The Rutland Historical Society was founded in 1969 to serve the original town of Rutland which includes the present towns of Proctor, Rutland Town, West Rutland and the City of Rutland.
Rutland Historical Society Inc.
96 Center Street
Rutland, VT 05701-4023
Phone: (802) 775-2006
Email - email@example.com
- About The Town of Rutland, http://www.rutlandtown.com/
- History Rutland County Vermont, Edited by H. P. Smith and W. S. Rann, Syracuse, NY, 1886.