FamilySearch Online Book Collection
Family History Books is a collection of more than 40,000 digitized genealogy and family history publications from the archives of some of the most important family history libraries in the world. The collection includes family histories, county and local histories, genealogy magazines and how-to books, gazetteers, and medieval histories and pedigrees.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q Where can I find the Family History Books collection?
A There are two ways to access Family History Books from FamilySearch.org:
Through the Books Tab.
- Go to https://familysearch.org/. Click on the Books tab.
- Type in your search criteria in the search box.
These are the benefits of using the Books tab to access Family History Books; only books available online show up in search and the search can be filtered by using the left hand menu.
The potential problems with using the Books tab to access Family History Books are that thesearch within books does not differentiate between books that are currently online and those that are scheduled to be made available online. Books that are not yet online generate an error message and cannot be opened.
Through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- Click on the Catalog tab of the https://familysearch.org website
- Click Titles from the menu. If you do not know the title of the book, youc can also search by Keyword.
- Enter search criteria in the title of keyword box.
- When the Search Results display, click on the title you want.
- The Book details page opens.
- Click on the link to go to the digital book.
There are benefits of using the Catalog to access Family History Books. The Catalog will state whether the book is currently available online, or if it is "In Process" and wil be online in the near future. Books that are in process can take up to two months to become available online.
There are potential problems with using the Catalog to access Family History Books. A Catalog search will show all of the Family History Library's holdings that filt the search criteria, including books, films and microfiche that are not avalable online. Items that are available online will show "online"in the Search Results page.
Q How do I navigate or serch within a book?
A Once a book has been selected it will open in a new tab. Books display in PDF format. Books can be read/navigated through the following icons and menus.
- Print Icon. Print as many or as few pages as desired. In some cases copyrighted material will have the Print icon hidden so it can not be clicked.
- Save. Save the entire book to your computer. In some cases copyrighted material will have the Save icon hidden so it can not be clicked.
- Up and Down arrows. Used to move forward and backward in the book page by page.
- Page box. Type in the number of the page you want to go to and hit Enter on your keyboard.
- + and - signs. Allows the page size to be altered to make it more readable, the icons next to them also represent sizing tools.
- Find box. Allows the entire book to be searched for particular words or phrases.
- Bookmarks. Found on the Left side menu bar. Allows quick movement between sections or chapters. Not all books have bookmarks.
Q What does "you don't have sufficient rights to view the requested object" mean?