User:DiltsGD/Sandbox

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 16:19, 3 April 2013 by DiltsGD (talk | contribs) (t)

Jump to: navigation, search
'''Note 1:''' I have replaced the text headings for 1850, 1865, 1868, and 1870 with anchors (for example, {{anchor|1850}}) in order to demonstrate the use of links to anchors which are NOT headings and therefore would not appear in a normal Table of Contents (TOC). By the way, this kind of anchor also can be used between 2 pages via a link to the page's-name before the #.

'''Note 2:''' The feature which is supposed to suppress lower-level headings (below level 4) is not functioning on this page. If it were functioning, NO years would appear in the normal TOC because their heading level is too small. It has been invoked, but does not work, and I do not know why. Nevertheless, it would be easy to suppress the entire normal TOC.

If we suppressed the normal, and displayed the concocted TOC (or a variation of it), would this meet our needs?  D. Dilts

Normal Table of Contents

Concocted Table of Contents

1 Wards of Boston
2 Introduction
3 Cemeteries
4 Churches

Wards of Boston

Wards in the Years: 1735 | 1805 | 1822 | 1838 | 1850 | 1865 | 1868 | 1870

Introduction

The town of Boston was divided into companies, or districts, to help keep the order, fighting fires, etc. The concept of the Ward was first codified in 1735. The Overseers of the Poor were having difficulty covering the whole town and proposed to divide the town into twelve wards. The freemen agreed and added that these wards would be the districts for "military considerations," too. The division was given to the Overseers to create and the resulting report for such divisions was accepted by the freeman with the caveat that these boundaries would stay in force until the town decided to change them.[See A Report of the Record Commissioners of the City of Boston Containing the Boston Records from 1729 to 1742 (Boston, 1885) [i.e. v. 12], 127, 131-133.] The next change in the ward boundaries came in 1805. [See Lemuel Shattuck, Report to the Committee of the City Council Appointed to Obtain the Census of Boston for the Year 1845 (Boston, 1846), Ap. 4-10, wrongly dating the first division as 1746.]

When Boston incorporated as a city in 1822. Wards were drawn and redefined in 1822, 1838, 1850, 1865, 1875, 1895, 1914, and 1924. The 1875 was set aside by the court and never officially used. These ward boundaries were defined in A Catalogue of the City Councils of Boston, 1822-1890, Roxbury, 1846-1867, Charlestown, 1847-1873 and of the selectmen of Boston, 1634-1822, also of various other town and municipal officers (Boston, 1891), xxxix, 270 pp. (Boston, 2nd ed., 1909), 402 pp., at pages 7 through 40 [see WorldCat (Other Libraries); Not at FHL; online at Internet Archive, Google Books, and Hathi Trust (1909 ed.); and in the Municipal Register for 1912, 1924, and 1927 [WorldCat (Other Libraries); Not at FHL; online links for all years, see the Boston Public Library].

It is important to understand these changes ward boundaries as they are referenced in city directories, census, tax records, and other documents. Voter lists and governmental representation was established by wards. The following is a description and associated map to help learn where these boundaries were. Note that the descriptions are the official boundary and the maps sometimes vary from the descriptions (Note: boundaries and colored areas may differ).

1735
Boston Wards in 1735
A New Plan of ye Great Town of Boston (1743) with ward boundaries
Note: 15 churches in the city
Ward Description Boundary
Ward No. 1 Copps Hill area Starting at the Charlestown Ferry and going up Prince Street (including both sides) to Gee's Corner, left on Salem Street, right on Charter Street, left on Henchman's Lane across Lyn Street to the harbor.
Ward No. 2 Union Wharf area Starting at the harbor (at the end of No. 1 above) up Henchman's Lane, right diagonally across Charter Street [description called this Elder Barker's Corner], along Salem Street [as far as the Rev. Dr. Cutler's], left on Love Street, left on North Street, right on Foster's Lane, across Ship Street to the harbor and to which is added Rumney Marsh [now Chelsea].
Ward No. 3 Fleet Street area Starting at the harbor (at the end of No. 2 above) up Foster's Lane, left on North Street, right on Love Lane, left on Salem Street [to Peirce's Corner though called Gee's Corner for No. 1], left on Prince Street through Bell Alley, right at Clark's Square [Mr. Mountfort's Corner and so the Dolphin Tavern] to Fish Street, and at that point, out to the harbor.
Ward No. 4 Center of North End [Since the description does not match the map, we give the map description first] Starting at Fish Street up Clark's Square, left on Bell Alley through Prince Street, left on Back Street (both sides) to the Mill Creek Bridge, sharp left out Middle Street, right on Wood Lane to Fish Street and the beginning. [From the northeast corner of Prince Street, running down the south side as far as Boucher's Corner, and then on both sides of the way to the Mill Bridge, and from thence on the west side of Middle Street to Prince Street, taking in the Square from Cox's Corner, down the north side of Wood Lane, through Bell Alley, to Capt. Wadsworth's.]
Ward No. 5 Christopher Columbus Park north Starting at Wood Lane, left on Middle Street across the Mill Bridge, left on Union Street to the town dock and out to the harbor, including all of Ann Street and Fish Street to Wood Lane and to include the Red Lion Wharf on Fish Street at the corner of Clark's Square.
Ward No. 6 Lower Hanover Street toward City Hall Starting at the Mill Pond and up the Mill Creek to the Mill Bridge, right on Hanover Street, left on Union Street, right on Wing's Lane [to Bradford's Corner], left on Hanover Street to the "Orange Tree", right on Sudbury Street, left on Hawkins Street [description called it Kneeland's Lane] to the corner of it, then right out the Mill Pond to include Jackson's Still House.
Ward No. 7 Beacon Hill and its back Starting just west of the Jackson's Still House (above) on the Mill Pond and back to the same corner on Hawkins Street, and down it, right on Sudbury Street, right on Southack's Court to its end, then drawn a line southwest over the hill [Beacon Hill] to a point where Southack Street and Beacon Street meet -- all land west of this line including Barton's Point.
Ward No. 8 Faneuil Hall to Long Wharf Starting at the town dock near the intersection of Union and Ann Streets, up Wing's Lane, left on Hanover Street, left on Queen Street around the corner through King Street and out Long Wharf.
Ward No. 9 Old South Meeting House north [From the description not found on the map] Starting at Mr. Bowdoin's Corner on Tremont Street taking in the western side of Beacon Street, down to the bottom of the Common, down School Street, right on Marlborough Street, left on Milk Street, left on Horn Street [Taunan Lane on map], right on Water Street to Oliver's Dock, left on Mackerel Lane, left on King Street through Queen Street to the beginning.
Ward No. 10 Franklin Street area Starting at Mr. Secretary Willard's [on Common Street?], down Rawson's Lane, crossing over Penniman's Corner [i.e. right on Marlborough Street], left on Summer Street, left on Cow Lane, over the Hill [i.e. Fort Hill, so right on Gibbs's Lane, left on Battery March] to Halloway's Shipyard, [assumed up Water Street, left on Taunan Lane, and right] to Milk Street, across South Meeting House Square [i.e. right on Marlborough Street], left on School Street to the beginning [the corner of Tremont and Common Streets].
Ward No. 11 South of Summer Street Starting at the Rawson's Lane and going down Common Street, left on West Street, diagonally across Newbury Street and down Pond Street, left on Blind Street onto Summer Street to Barton's Rope Walk [not on map], along the harbor [not stated so] to Mr. Hubbard's [wharf], up the hill [i.e. Gibbs's Lane], left on Cow Lane, up Summer Street, right on Marlborough Street, left on Rawson's Lane to the beginning.
Ward No. 12 West Street south Starting at the School House on the Common, down West Street, diagonally across Newbury Street and down Pond Street, left on Blind Lane onto Summer Street to Bull's Wharf -- all land south of this line.
Top of Page
1805
Boston Wards in 1805
A New Plan of Boston (1806)
Note: 19 churches in the city
Ward Description Boundary
Ward No. 1 Copps Hill area Starting at the Charles River Bridge onto Prince Street, left on North Street to the Winnisimit Ferry.
Ward No. 2 Christopher Columbus Park and north Starting at the Winnisimit Ferry up North Street through Middle Street, left on Proctor's Lane to the Town Slip.
Ward No. 3 Central North End Starting at the Charles River Bridge onto Prince Street, right on Middle Street, left on Proctor's Lane to the Town Slip (as the northern border) and Mill Creek and causeway (as the southern border) -- all land in between.
Ward No. 4 Quincy Market area Starting at the Mill Creek and onto Hanover Street, left on Court Street passed Pemberton Hill and around through State Street and out Long Wharf.
Ward No. 5 North Station area Starting at the Mill Creek and onto Hanover Street, right to Southack's Court, right on Bulfinch Street to Bowdoin Square, left up Cambridge Street, right on Lynde Street and Leverett Street, right on the causeway to the extension of Mill Creek.
Ward No. 6 Mass. General Hospital area Starting from the causeway down Leverett Street through Lynde Street and through Hancock Street, right on Myrtle Street, right on South Russell Street, left on May Street to the water.
Ward No. 7 State House and the flat of Beacon Hill Starting at the Charles River and up May Street, right on South Russell, left on Myrtle Street, left on Hancock Street, right on Cambridge Street through Bowdoin Square, right on Bulfinch Street, left on Southack's Court, right on Tremont Street, right on Park Street, left on Beacon Street to the Charles River.
Ward No. 8 School Street to Post Office Square area Starting at the Long Wharf and up State Street through Court Street, left on Tremont Street, left on Bromfield Lane, right on Marlborough Street, left on Milk Street to the harbor.
Ward No. 9 Rowe's Wharf area Starting at the harbor and up Milk Street, left on Federal Street, right on High Street, left on Summer Street to the harbor.
Ward No. 10 Downtown Crossing area Starting at Common Street down Bromfield Lane, left on Marlborough Street, right on Milk Street, right on Federal Street, right on High Street, diagonally across and up Pond Street through West Street, right on Common Street to the beginning.
Ward No. 11 Leather District - Chinatown to the Common Starting at the harbor and up Summer Street, veer left onto Pond Street through West Street, left on Common Street onto Pleasant Street [??], left on Elliot Street, left on Orange Street, right on Beach Street and across Front Street to the harbor.
Ward No. 12 South of the Common along Washington Street and South Boston Starting at the Charles River Basin across Elliot Street, left on Orange Street, right on Beach Street and across Front Street to the harbor -- all land south of this line and South Boston included.
Top of Page


1822
Boston Wards in 1822
Plan of Boston (1826) with ward boundaries - colored section were proposed new wards for 1832
Note: 35 churches in the city
Ward Modern Description Boundary
Ward No. 1 Copp's Hill area From Winnesimett Ferry (at the northeast point), then westerly along North and Middle to Prince Street, northerly side of Prince to Thacher Street to easterly side of Medford Street to the river. [Note: Four churches]
Ward No. 2 Lewis's Wharf area From Winnesimett Ferry (at the north point), then southwesterly along North and Middle on the easterly side to Cross Street, then along the north side of Cross Street to the harbor. [Note: Three churches]
Ward No. 3 North Station / Mill Pond area From Medford Street at the river along the southerly side of Medford, Thacher, and Prince Streets, then the western side of Middle to Cross Street; From the town dock through Market Square to Union Street on the northeasterly side to Hanover Street, along the west side of Hanover to Friend Street, then northeasterly side of Friend to the river. [Note: Two churches]
Ward No. 4 Strip from Charles River Dam to Long Wharf plus the islands From the river on the southwesterly side of Friend to Hanover Streets, east on Hanover Street on the southerly side to through Market Square and to the Town Dock, and out to the end of Long Wharf; including all the islands (670 inhabitants); at the head of Long Wharf west on the northerly side of State Street, through Court Street, Bowdoin Square, and Cambridge Street, north of Staniford Street on the easterly side through Leverett Place along Prospect Street to where it meets Causeway Street on the river. [Note: Three churches]
Ward No. 5 West End / Mass. Gen. Hospital Starting at the last point in Ward 4 tracing back to Cambridge Street, then west on the northerly side of Cambridge to the West Boston Bridge [now Longfellow Bridge]. [Note: Two churches, the hospital, and the city court house with two gaols]
Ward No. 6 West side of Beacon Hill Starting at the West Boston Bridge (above) at the river along the south side of Cambridge Street, along the westerly side of South Russell Street to Myrtle east on the southerly side of Myrtle Street to Belknap Street, along Belknap south on the westerly side to Beacon Street, west on Beacon along the northerly side to Charles Street (at the meeting of the Charles River and the Receiving Basin that was divided by the mill dam at the Boston / Roxbury line. [Note: One church]
Ward No. 7 State House / King's Chapel area Starting on Beacon Street at the Common, north on Belknap Street on the easterly side to Myrtle Street, the west to South Russell Street, then north along that to Cambridge Street, east on Cambridge along the southerly side along Court Street to Cornhill, then west on Cornhill along the northerly side through Marlborough and Newbury Streets to West Street, northwest on West to the Common, follow the Common to the beginning along Common, Park, and Beacon Streets back to Belknap. [Note: Seven churches]
Ward No. 8 Downtown Crossing area Starting at the corner of Court Street and Cornhill (above), southwest as above to Bedford Street, southeast on Bedford to the harbor; then from Russian Wharf onto Atkinson Street north to Milk Street, then east to Adams Street, north on Adams through Kilby to State Street, then west on State to Cornhill. [Note: Seven churches]
Ward No. 9 Financial District / Fort Hill - Washington Place Starting at the northerly end of India Street on the harbor west along State Street, then south on Kilby Street through Adams Street to Milk Street, then west on Milk to Atkinson Street, then south on Atkinson to the harbor. [Note: Two churches]
Ward No. 10 North side of Chinatown Starting on the south side of Bull's Wharf on the harbor out westward along Bedford and West Streets to the Common, south and west along the Common on Common Street to Boylston Street, east along Boylston through Essex Street to Rainsford Lane, south on the lane to the harbor. [Note: Two churches]
Ward No. 11 South side of Chinatown / Tufts Medical Center Starting at Ward 10 on west side of Rainsford Lane on the harbor north to Essex Street, then west on Essex through Boylston Street, then north along Charles Street to the Mill Dam [actually, to the Roxbury line in the Receiving Basin], along the Charles to Pleasant Street a short distance then east along Elliot Street to Warren Street, then south on Warren to Orange Street, diagonally across to continue on Pine Street to the harbor. [Note: Two churches]
Ward No. 12 Boston Neck along present Washington Street and South Boston Starting at Ward 11's southern border of Pleasant to Elliot to Warren and the Pine Streets as the northern border of Ward 12, all land south of this along the Boston Neck and also South Boston. [Note: Full ward not shown on map and no churches visible]
Top of Page


1838
Boston Wards in 1838
A New & Complete Map of the City of Boston (1839) [colorized by wards]
Ward Modern Description Boundary
Ward No. 1 Copp's Hill area Starting at the Winnisimet (now Chelsea) Ferry along Hanover Street, right on Richmond Street through Cooper Street, across Charlestown Street and right along Beverly Street to the river.
Ward No. 2 Lewis's Wharf area Starting at the Ferry (above) along Hanover Street, left at Union Street [different on map] to Dock Square, then left on North Market Street to the City Wharf.
Ward No. 3 North Station / Mill Pond area Starting at the river [at Trull's Wharf] along Beverly Street, across Charlestown Street left along Cooper Street through Richmond Street to Hanover Street, right along Hanover Street, left onto Union Street, right onto Elm Street [different on map] to Hanover Street, diagonally across along Portland Street, left on Sudbury Street, right onto Hawkins Street, left on Chardon Street to Bowdoin Square, right on Green Street [different on map], right at Lyman Place, right on Prospect Street [not named on map] to the intersection with Causeway Street through to Lowell Street to the river.
Ward No. 4 Strip from Beacon Hill (behind State House) to Long Wharf plus East Boston and the islands Starting at the end of City Wharf going along North Market Street, through Dock Square, along Elm Street to Hanover Street, diagonally across that street to the right up Portland Street, left on Sudbury Street, right on Hawkins Street, left on Chardon Street to Bowdoin Square, right on Green Street [different on map], left on Staniford Street, right on Cambridge Street, left on Belknap Street [now Joy Street], left on Mt. Vernon Street, [missing - right on Temple Street], left on Beacon Street, left on Tremont Street, right on Court Street through State Street out Long Wharf, then including all of East Boston and all the islands in the harbor.
Ward No. 5 West End / Mass. Gen. Hospital Starting at the Cambridge Bridge on the river (now Longfellow Bridge) along Cambridge Street, left on Staniford Street across Green Street through Lyman Place, right onto Prospect Street [not named on map], across Causeway Street, and along Lowell Street to the river.
Ward No. 6 West side of Beacon Hill Starting at the Cambridge Bridge on the river (now Longfellow Bridge) along Cambridge Street, right on Belknap Street [now Joy Street], right on Beacon Street to the receiving basin.
Ward No. 7 State House / Downtown Crossing / King's Chapel area Starting at the corner of Belknap Street [now Joy Street] and Beacon Street on the Common, up Belknap Street, right on Mt. Vernon Street, [missing - right on Temple Street], left on Beacon Street, left on Tremont Street, right on Court Street through State Street, right on Congress Street, right on Milk Street, left on Federal Street, right on Franklin Street, left on Hawley Street, left on Summer Street, across Chauncey Place and Bedford Place [not labeled on map] through Rowe Street, right on Essex Street, across Washington Street along Boylston Street, right on Tremont Street, left on Park Street, left on Beacon Street to the first point.
Ward No. 8 Financial District / Fort Hill - Washington Place On the harbor at Long Wharf out along State Street, left on Congress Street, right on Milk Street, left on Federal Street, left on Berry Street, right on Atkinson Street to the harbor west of the Russia Wharf.
Ward No. 9 Chinatown North area Starting at and including Hobb's Wharf [Lloyd's Wharf on map], up Beach Street, right on Washington Street, right on Essex Street, left on Rowe through Bedford and Chauncey Place [neither named on map], left on Summer Street, right on Hawley Street, right on Franklin Street, right on Federal Street, left on Berry Street, right on Atkinson Street to the harbor west on the Russia Wharf.
Ward No. 10 South Station - Chinatown area Starting at Hobb's Wharf above [Lloyd's Wharf on map], up Beach Street, right on Washington Street, left on Boylston Street along the Common, left on Pleasant Street and left again on Eliot Street [slightly different on map], right onto Carver Street, left on Pleasant Street, right onto Washington Street, left on Indiana Street [Distilhouse on map], right across the railroad tracks on Harrison Avenue [Front Street on map], and left on the new road to the Cove [Orange Street on the map] to the south side of Guild and Cowdin's Wharf.
Ward No. 11 The Neck - Central South End area Starting at the corner of Boylston and Pleasant streets, down Pleasant Street and left again on Eliot Street [slightly different on map], right onto Carver Street, left on Pleasant Street, right onto Washington Street, left on Indiana Street [Distilhouse on map], right across the railroad tracks on Harrison Avenue [Front Street on map], and left on the new road to the Cove [Orange Street on the map] to the south side of Guild and Cowdin's Wharf. The ward being all land south and west of this line to the Roxbury town border.
Ward No. 12 South Boston All of South Boston.
Top of Page


Boston Wards in 1850
Plan of Boston Comprising a Part of Charlestown and Cambridge (1851) [colorized wards]
New Map of Boston ... with the new boundaries of the wards (1851)
Note: 83 churches in the city
Ward Modern Description Boundary
Ward No. 1 The North End Starting at the end and including all of the Eastern Packet Pier on the harbor and running across and up Richmond Street, right on Salem Street, left on Cooper Street, crossing Charlestown Street diagonally right onto Beverly Street out to the river along and including Trull's Wharf. [Note: Eleven churches]
Ward No. 2 East Boston and the harbor islands Including all that part of the city called East Boston and all the islands in the harbor. [Note: Five churches]
Ward No. 3 North Station area Starting between the Fitchburg Railroad depot and Trull's Wharf on the river and out along Beverly Street across Charlestown Street and left onto Cooper Street, right on Salem Street, left on Richmond Street, right on Hanover Street, right on Court Street through Bowdoin Square and onto Green Street, right on Leverett Street, verse right onto Causeway Street, and left on Lowell Street in a line passed the Boston & Lowell Railroad depot to the river. [Note: Six churches]
Ward No. 4 Government Center to Long Wharf Starting at the harbor next to, but not including, the Eastern Packet Pier and up Richmond Street, left on Hanover Street, right on Court Street through Bowdoin Square and onto Green Street, left on Staniford Street, diagonally across Cambridge Street onto Temple Street through Mount Vernon Street through Park Street, right on Tremont Street, left on Winter Street, left on Washington Street, right on Milk Street across India Street, and out and including Central Wharf. [Note: Thirteen churches and the largest part of the business district]
Ward No. 5 West End / Mass. Gen. Hospital Starting at the Cambridge Bridge and out along Cambridge Street, left on Staniford Street, left on Green Street, right on Leverett Street, and left on Lowell Street to the Boston & Lowell Railroad bridge. [Note: Three churches, Mass. Gen. Hospital, and the new county jail]
Ward No. 6 West side of Beacon Hill including State House Starting at the Cambridge Bridge and out along Cambridge Street, right on Temple Street through Mount Vernon Street, right on Beacon Street and onto Western Avenue to the river. [Note: Five churches, reservoir, State House, and the Eye and Ear Infirmary]
Ward No. 7 Financial District to Rowe's Wharf including Fort Hill Starting where the Central Wharf meets India Street and up Milk Street, left on Washington Street, right on Winter Street, left on Tremont Street, left on West Street through Bedford Street, right on Kingston Street, left on Essex Street, left on South Street, right on Summer Street and straight out to the harbor between Summer Street Wharf (not included) and Bull Wharf (included). [Note: Eleven churches]
Ward No. 8 South Station west to the Common Starting at a point between Bull and Summer Street wharfs on the harbor and up Summer Street, left on South Street, right on Essex Street, right on Kingston Street, left on Bedford Street though West Street to the Common, turn left on Tremont Street, left on Elliot Street through Kneeland Street crossing Sea Street to a point between Howe's and Emery's wharfs. [Note: Four churches]
Ward No. 9 Bay Village north to the Common - Public Garden Starting at the boundary between Roxbury and Boston on Western Avenue at the northwest corner of the planned public garden on Western Avenue through Beacon Street, right on Park Street, right on Tremont Street, left on Warren Street, right on Washington Street, right on West Castle Street and crossing Tremont Street to the Worcester Railroad bridge, then up the receiving basin to the beginning. [Note: Four churches]
Ward No. 10 Tufts Medical Center area south to the Traveler's / Herald building Starting at a point on the harbor between and including Emery's Wharf and not including Howe's Wharf across Sea Street and up Kneeland Street continuing on Elliot Street, left on Tremont Street, left on Warren Street, right on Washington Street, left on Dover Street [now East Berkeley Street] to the South Boston Bridge. [Note: Six churches]
Ward No. 11 The Neck - Central South End area Starting at the boundary between Roxbury and Boston at the Worcester Railroad bridge out across Tremont Street and down West Castle Street, right on Washington Street, and left on Dover Street [now East Berkeley Street] to the South Boston Bridge -- south and west of this line to the Roxbury border down the Neck is included in this ward. [Note: Five churches]
Ward No. 12 South Boston All that part of the city called South Boston on the Dorchester Neck including the South Boston and Free bridges. [Note: Ten churches]
Top of Page


Boston Wards in 1865
Plan of Boston (1867)
Note: 114 churches in the city in 1867
Note: 127 churches in the city in 1869 (with addition of Roxbury)
Ward Modern Description Boundary
Ward No. 1 East Boston and the harbor islands All that part of the city called East Boston and all the islands in the harbor. [Note: Twelve churches]
Ward No. 2 The North End Starting at but not including Warren Bridge at the river along Lovejoy's Wharf, right on Causeway Street, left on Haverhill Street across Haymarket Square through Blackstone Street, left on Clinton Street to the harbor. [Note: Thirteen churches]
Ward No. 3 North Station - Mass. Gen. Hospital area Start at the Cambridge [West Boston on map] Bridge at the river and out along Cambridge Street, left on Staniford Street, left on Green Street, right on Leverett, veer right on Causeway Street to a point just passed the Fitchburg Depot and before Lovejoy's Wharf, then left to the river to the right of and including Warren Bridge. [Note: Seven churches, four railroad depots, Mass. General Hospital, a medical collage, and the county jail]
Ward No. 4 Government Center to Long Wharf Starting at the harbor and up along Clinton Street, right on Blackstone Street across Haymarket Square through Haverhill Street, left on Causeway Street, onto Leverett Street, left on Green Street, right on Staniford Street across Cambridge Street to Temple Street, left on Mount Vernon Street, right on Park Street, right on Tremont Street, left on Winter Street, left on Washington Street, right on Milk Street across India Street to the south side and including Central Wharf. [Note: Seventeen churches, city hall, county courthouse, and many businesses]
Ward No. 5 Financial District to Rowe's Wharf including Fort Hill Starting at the ending point above but excluding Central Wharf across India Street and up Milk Street, left on Washington, right on Winter Street to the Common, left on Tremont Street, left at the Masonic Temple onto Boylston Street, right on Washington Street, left on Beach Street, right on Federal Street, and left on Mount Washington Avenue to Fort Point Channel. [Note: Twelve church, two theaters, and three railroad depots]
Ward No. 6 West side of Beacon Hill including State House, Common and Public Garden Start at the Cambridge [West Boston on map] Bridge at the river and out along Cambridge Street, right on Temple Street, left on Mount Vernon Street, right on Park Street, right on Tremont and right on Boylston Street to follow along the southerly border of the Common and Public Garden, right on Arlington Street, and left out the newly planned Commonwealth Avenue to the border with the city of Roxbury and following that until to meets the river. [Note: Seven churches, the State House, reservoir, the Common, and Public Garden]
Ward No. 7 Fort Point Channel area Starting at Mount Washington Avenue on Fort Point Channel up to and turning right onto Federal Street, left on Beach Street, left on Albany Street, right on Curve Street, left on Harrison Avenue, left on Dover [now East Berkeley] Street across the Dover Street Bridge to the waterline of South Boston, following the shoreline to the point where Dorchester Avenue [Federal Street on map] and the Old Colony & Newport Railroad tracks cross, continuing out the tracks and turn left on E Street out to and across First Street to the harbor. [Note: Five churches, numerous railroad buildings, and the foundry area]
Ward No. 8 Tufts Medical Center and Chinatown Starting on the south side of the Common on Boylston Street at the junction of Carver Street and down Boylston Street, right on Washington Street, left on Beach Street, right on Albany Street, right on Curve Street, diagonally across Harrison Avenue and up Indiana Street, right on Washington Street, left on Pleasant Street, right onto Carver Street to the beginning. [Note: Eight churches, theater, and public library]
Ward No. 9 Bay Village west including southern Back Bay and northern South End Starting on Harrison Avenue at Florence Street and up Florence Street, diagonally across Washington Street and up Champman Street, left on Tremont Street, right on Berkeley Street, left on Warren Avenue, across Columbus Avenue up Newton Street [not named on map], left on the Boston & Providence Railroad tracks to the city of Roxbury border, right up the border to the newly planned Commonwealth Avenue, right on that avenue, right on Arlington Street, left Boylston Street, right on Carver Street onto Pleasant Street, right on Washington Street, left Indiana Street, right on Harrison Avenue to the beginning. [Note: Ten churches and two railroad depots]
Ward No. 10 Eastern South End At the start of Ward No. 9 above then up Florence Street, diagonally across Washington Street and up Champman Street, left on Tremont Street, right on Berkeley Street, left on Warren Avenue, left on Brookline Street to South Bay. [Note: Eight churches and piano factory]
Ward No. 11 West South End Starting at the border between the cities of Boston and Roxbury at the point where the Boston & Providence Railroad crosses and continue on the tracks east, right on Newton Street [not named on map], crossing Columbus Avenue at a diagonal onto Warren Avenue, right on Brookline Street to the South Bay and the city of Roxbury border, then west along this border through the Roxbury Canal and beyond, right traveling up the border, then right again to meet at the beginning. [Note: Seven churches, piano factory, city hospital complex, and city water and sewer plants]
Ward No. 12 South Boston All that section of the city now known as South Boston lying south of E Street and south and west of the track of the Old Colony & Newport Railroad. [Note: Eight churches, idiotic school, insane hospital, and house of correction]

Roxbury annexation adds Wards 13-15 in 1868
Plan of Boston with Additions and Corrections (1869)
Ward Modern Description Boundary
Ward No. 13 Lower Roxbury east of Dudley Square Starting at and including the Roxbury Canal and following a line between Fellows Street and Harrison Avenue west along the old border between the cities of Boston and Roxbury, right up the same border just east of Hunneman Street, left on Washington Street, left at Dudley Square down Dudley Street to the border with the town of Dorchester, then left following Line Brook that is the border to the South Bay. [Note: No churches, loom, cotton, and watch factories, and the lead and gas works]
Ward No. 14 Southeast of Dudley Square to Washington Park Starting at the point where Dudley Street is crossed by the Line Brook and continuing west along that brook until reaching and continuing on Vale Street until it intersects with Lawrence Avenue, then west on the city of Boston and town of Dorchester line to a corner just southwest of Grove Hall, right to Brush Hill Turnpike [now Blue Hill Avenue] and up Seaver Street though Egleston Square [the border with West Roxbury], right on Shawmut Avenue [now Washington Street], left on Bartlett Street to Eliot Square, sharp right on Dudley Street, left on Putnam Street through Shailers Avenue through unnamed street [Cabot Street?], left on Culvert Street, right on Tremont Street, right on Hammond Street and continuing along the old border between the cities of Boston and Roxbury, right on Washington Street through Dudley Square, left on Dudley Street to the beginning. [Note: Eleven churches]
Ward No. 15 Longwood Medical Area, Mission Hill, Back of the Hill, Hyde Square, Highland Park Starting on Shawmut Avenue [now Washington Street] at the town of West Roxbury border, north along this border to the Muddy River, northeast along this river (being the border with the town of Brookline) almost to the river, right along the old border between the cities of Boston and Roxbury, right along the same border, right again and coming down to Tremont Street, right on that street , left on Culvert Street, right on an unnamed street [Cabot Street?] through Shailers Avenue and Putnam Street, right on Dudley Street, sharp left at Eliot Square and down Bartlett Street, right on Shawmut Avenue to the beginning. [Note: Two churches]
Top of Page


Dorchester annexation adds Ward 16 in 1870
Map of Boston from the Lastest surveys (1870)
Ward Modern Description Boundary
Ward No. 16 Town of Dorchester Being all the part of the town of Dorchester before annexation.
Brighton, Charlestown, and West Roxbury annexation adds Wards 17-22 in 1873
Map of Boston, for 1874 (1874)
Ward Modern Description Boundary
Ward No. 17 West Roxbury Being all the part of the town of West Roxbury before annexation.
Ward No. 18 Brookline This was to be the former town of Brookline, but Brookline declined to be annexed so this ward never existed.
Ward No. 19 Brighton Being all the part of the town of Brighton before annexation.
Ward No. 20 Charlestown Square Starting at the Charles River and going up Chapman Street, diagonally right onto Austin Street, left on Main Street, right up Green Street, right on High Street, right on Winthrop Street, left along the north side of Winthrop Square [i.e. Adams Street], right on Chestnut Street, right on Chelsea Street, sharp diagonal left on Wapping Street to the Charles River.
Ward No. 21 Bunker Hill and Navy Yard From the river follow the previous border up Wapping, Chelsea, and Chestnut streets to Winthrop Square, along the north side of the square, up High Street, and right on Pearl Street in a line down to the Mystic River.
Ward No. 22 West Charlestown Starting at the Charles River and going up Chapman Street, diagonally right onto Austin Street, left on Main Street, right up Green Street, left on High Street, and right on Pearl Street in a line down to the Mystic River - all the land northwest of this line.
Top of Page


Boston Massachusetts Cemeteries

Boston Massachusetts Churches