Find Ancestosrs and Their Family Members in a County History
In United States research, County Histories can provide clues to your family that cannot be found anywhere else.
Step 1: Go to Internet Archives website (free) [www.archive.org] and
- Search for a “History of [the county,state you are focused on] ”
- Click on "all media search"
- Select and click on a book from the "Search Results"
- Click on the PDF version in the left menu to load the book.
- Use Ctrl+F to search for the family name you are working on.
- Continue to click the right arrow of the “Find” box to see all entries throughout the book
Step 2: Verify any findings of additional family members in the U.S. Censuses. Start with the census after the marriage of the parents.
- Be sure and look at the original census document when possible.
- Look at all consecutive censuses that apply to your ancestor.
- Click on the links below to search the record group:
To learn more about County Histories, see the following lesson in the FamilySearch Learning Center:
“County Histories and Your Family” by Janice Schultz, MLS