From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 18:50, 1 February 2013 by Batsondl (t)
Finding United States Birth Records
About United States Birth Records
- Each state has a different year when births began to be recorded depending on when their state law was passed.
- Most states began recording births between 1900 and 1930.
- New England states started recording births on the town level starting as early as the first residents of the town.
- Some states in the Midwest began recording births on the county level as early as 1860s.
- Births after 1900 often have restrictions on who can see them. Each state has its own laws. One state may have births for some years available to the public while other states may limit access to living relatives.
- Information gathered by state and county officials differs from each state.
How to Start: Where Did the Birth Occur?
To find a birth record, choose the state the birth occurred:
- What if you don't know the state? — Go to Estimating Birth Information