User:AdkinsWH/Sandbox LDS Stakes
This is task Phase 1a for LDS Church Records in Utah
The purpose of this task is to copy and adapt the pattern (found on the Discussion page) to LDS stakes. Details of stake boundaries will be added, with links to adjoining stakes and to the wards and branches within the stake.
We will focus first on early and important areas: Cache, Davis, Salt Lake, Utah, Washington, and Weber Counties. Once the stakes and wards are done for these areas, we will move to the rest of the state.
The history timeline will be completed for stake pages in this phase. First focus will be on Salt Lake City, Provo, Orem, Bountiful, Ogden, St. George, Logan.
- The history timeline portion is in "discovery" mode. A few of us will work together to discover just how to present a LOT of historical detail for one of these cities in a way that will help rather than confuse.
|It is easiest to have several windows or tabs open: one for this task page, one for the county page, and one for the stake page.|
The stakes that need Phase 1a pages are red links under the heading "Church of Jesus Christ..." on the county pages.
Example of a stake page
See Bear River Stake, Utah for an example where stake boundaries and the names of units have been filled in. (But not the timeline.)
Step 1. Identify stakes in this county
A) Navigate to the county page under "The Church of Jesus Christ...." B) Click on a place to identify it's stake. C) Type the stake name in the table, with it's link as follows:
- [[Bear River Stake, Utah LDS Church Wards and Boundaries|Bear River Stake]]
(Wilma: put the template at the end of the above link)
Step 1. Copy the pattern without changing it
A) Click the Discussion tab
B) Click the "Edit This Page" button.
C) Select Wikitext
D) Highlight all (Ctrl+A) and copy (Ctrl+C)
E) Cancel edit
Step 2. Paste the pattern to a (pre-determined) empty page
In another tab or window, click to the county page.
A) On the county page, go to the Churches and Religious Groups topic
B) Click a red (inactive) link -- under the "Church of Jesus Christ..." heading
- It will tell you the page does not exist.
C) Edit in Wikitext and paste the pattern to that page
D) Fill in edit Summary box: "copied pattern" and Save page
Step 3. Adapt the Pattern
A) Breadcrumb trail:
- Change "Beaver" to the current county (2 instances in breadcrumb trail)
- Change "Frisco" to current town with comma
- Fill in edit Summary, "Breadcrumb", Save page
B) Get correct pages from Jenson's Encyclopedic History. Before you get into edit mode,
- Click on the link, search by place, scroll down to see page numbers
- Hint: slide down to the alphabet for the place, and check the page(s) with hits to see which one is the beginning page. Then determine which is the ending page.
- Get into edit WikiText again, and change the page numbers (p 5-6) to the pages for this place
C) Under "Obtain the Records":
- Change "Beaver, Frisco" to current county, place
D) Below "References"
- In Category, replace "Beaver" with current county
- Type in the edit Summary box: "adapted to town" and Save page