Upper Platte Indian Agency
United States American Indians Nebraska Indians of Nebraska Upper Platte Indian AgencyUnited States American Indians Colorado Indians of Colorado Upper Platte Indian AgencyUnited States American Indians Kansas Indians of Kansas Upper Platte Indian AgencyUnited States American Indians Wyoming Indians of Wyoming Upper Platte Indian Agency
The Upper Platte Agency was created in 1848 and originally had jurisdiction over large portions of what became the states of Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, and Nebraska. In 1855, the Upper Arkansas Agency was created, taking responsibility for the area which is now eastern Colorado and western Kansas.
The agency headquarters moved several times, but the primary locations of the agent for the years below were:
- 1848-1857 -- at or near Fort Laramie
- 1857-1861 -- on Deer Creek about 110 miles west of Fort Laramie
- 1861-1863 -- near Fort Laramie
- 1863-1867 -- on the North Platte River about 24 miles east of Fort Laramie
- 1867-1868 -- North Platte, Nebraska
In December, 1868 the Upper Platte Agency was moved to the mouth of Whetstone Creek on the Missouri River, 18 miles from Fort Randall in Dakota Territory. It was renamed the Whetstone Agency in June 1869.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Marquette University. Guide to Catholic-Related Records in the Midwest about Native Americans.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online