Upper Norfolk County, Virginia Genealogy
Upper Norfolk County, Virginia genealogy and family history research page. Guide to Upper Norfolk County (1637-1646) genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including wills, deeds and land records, family histories, cemeteries, and churches.
Upper Norfolk was a county, now extinct, in seventeenth-century Virginia.
The original records of Upper Norfolk County, Virginia are now held at the Chesapeake City Courthouse, Chesapeake, Va. and at the Library of Virginia, Richmond, Va.
1646-- Upper Norfolk County was renamed Nansemond County.
Church of England
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Gookin] Thornton, J. Wingate. "The Gookin Family," The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Vol. 1 (1847):345-352. Digital versions at Google Books - free, Internet Archive - free, and American Ancestors ($).
- [Gookin] Gookins, Richard N. A History and Genealogy of the Gookin Family of England, Ireland, and America. Rev. ed. Salem, Ore.: R.N. Gookins, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 G641g 1991 and supp..
- [Newton] "Notes and Queries," The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Vol. 39 (1885):194. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). [Announces plans of Mr. Virginius Newton to publish a family history on the Newtons of Lower Norfolk, Nansemond, and Stafford counties.]
- [Norfleet] Perkins, Dorothy Neblett. Thomas Norfleet of 1666: Some of His Descendants and Allied Families, Volume I. Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.: privately published, 2001.
- [Smithwick] Brayton, John Anderson. Order of First Families of North Carolina Ancestor Biographies Vol. 1. Memphis, Tenn., 2011. FHL Book 975.6 D3bj v. 1.
Additional resources include:
Land and Property
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- John Frederick Dorman, "Review of Cavaliers and Pioneers," in The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 24, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1980):221. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 24 (1980)