Difference between revisions of "United States, Passport Applications - FamilySearch Historical Records"
(→Search the Collection)
m (Added locality breadcrumb)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
Revision as of 13:27, 25 April 2016
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: United States Passport Applications, 1795-1925 .
Record Description[edit | edit source]
This collection contains United States Passport Applications from two different NARA collections: M1490, and M1372 from Record Group 59 General Records of the Department of State. This collection is currently being indexed and the indexed records are being published.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for United States, Passport Applications, 1795-1925.|
Record Content[edit | edit source]
These records usually contain the following information:
- Application date
- Application place
- Birth date
- Birth place
- Name of husband or father
- Husband's or father's birth date
- Husband's or father's birth place
- Husband's or father's residence
- Husband's or father's citizenship information
- Applicant's residence
- Applicant's occupation
- Length of time intending to be out of the U.S.
- Where traveling to
- Why traveling
- Port of departure
- Name of vessel
- Date of departure
- Oath of allegiance statement
- Applicant's age
- Applicant's physical description
- Witness' statement
- Witness' signature
- Applicant's signature
- Applicant's photograph
- Name and position of person receiving application and witness' statement
- Name and location of court where application and witness' statement was made
How to Use the Record[edit | edit source]
To begin your search it is helpful to know:
- Name of the individual
- Identifying information such as birth date and place
Search the Collection[edit | edit source]
To search the collection by name:
Fill in your ancestor’s name in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about those in the list to what you already know about your own ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person.
To browse by image:
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the "NARA Publication Number" category
⇒Select the “Roll Number, Date Range, Certificate Number" category which takes you to the images
Look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
With either search keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line article FamilySearch Search Tips and Tricks.
Using the Information[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors. For example:
- Use the name, birth date and birth place to obtain a birth record.
- Use the name and application place or residence to search US federal census records.
- If you are unable to locate your ancestor look for various spellings of the names.
Known Issues with This Collection[edit | edit source]
|Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Related Websites[edit | edit source]
- NARA Collection Description M1372
- NARA Collection Description M1490
- NARA Reference Report Passport Applications
- NARA Passport Applications
Related Wiki Articles[edit | edit source]
How You Can Contribute[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "United States, Passport Applications, 1795-1925." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Citing National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for United States, Passport Applications, 1795-1925.