United States, New England Seamen's Identification Cards (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
United States, New England Seamen's Identification Cards, 1918-1940
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|United States, United States|
|Flag of the United States of America|
|US Flag 1912-1959 (48 stars)|
|National Archives and Records Administration Logo|
|Record Type||Seamen's Identification Cards|
|Record Group||RG 41: Records of the Bureau of Marine Inspection and Navigation|
|National Archives Identifier||370|
|National Archives and Records Administration|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The records include identification cards of Seamen departing from or arriving at the following ports: Boston, Vineyard Haven, Salem/Beverly, Marblehead, Fall River, New Haven, Portland, and Providence. The record includes name, age, place of birth, parent's birthplace, naturalization data, physical description, photo, and signature. The records can be found at NARA Northeast Region facility in Waltham, Massachusetts. This collection includes records from 1918 to 1940.
- District of Boston and Charlestown, Massachusetts, Seamen's Identification cards,1917-1922 NAID 3477933
- District of Salem and Beverly,Massachusetts, Seamen's Coastwise Identification Cards for Salem, 7/1918-12/1918 NAID 3477999
- District of Marblehead, Massachusetts, Seamen's Coastwise Identification Cards, 7/1918-10/1918 NAID 3477979
- District of Boston and Charlestown,Massachusetts, Applications for Seamen's Protection Certificates and Identification Cards for Boston, 2/12/1918-11/24/1939 NAID 3444809
- District of Providence, Rhode Island, Applications for Seamen's Protection Certificates for Providence, 5/1928-10/1940 NAID 3477996
- District of Connecticut, Applications for Seamen's Protection Certificates for New Haven, 2/1937-7/1937 NAID 3477982
- District of Boston and Charlestown, Alien's Applications for Seamen Service and Protection Certificates for Boston, 12/1931-7/1935 NAID 3476677
- District of Portland, Maine, Application's for Seamen's Protection Certificates for Portland,8/1927-11/1937 NAID 3477986
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for United States, New England Seamen's Identification Cards, 1918-1940.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Place of birth
- Place of father's birth
- Place of mother's birth
- If naturalized, where and when
- Birth date
- Physical description
- Thumb print
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate age of your ancestor
- The place where your ancestor was born
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the County
- Select the Town
- Select the Record Type, Number, Date Range to view the images
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the name, birth date and birth place to obtain a birth certificate
- Use the name and birth place to search census records
- Search for other military records
- Search for naturalization records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look for variant spellings of the surname
- Search for records in the county where the seaman lived
- Search for other family members in the records
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the United States.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.