Difference between revisions of "Union County, South Dakota Genealogy"
("Added county history intro".)
|Line 89:||Line 89:|
==== Newspapers ====
==== Newspapers ====
==== Probate ====
==== Taxation ====
==== Taxation ====
Revision as of 01:59, 21 June 2013United States South Dakota Union County
Union County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Union County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||April 10, 1862|
|County Seat||Elk Point|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Union County Courthouse
PO Box 757
Elk Point, SD 57025-0757
Register of Deeds has birth records from 1866,
marriage records from 1886, death records from
1905, burial records from 1961, land records from
1863 and military discharge records from 1919;
Clerk Court has probate records from 1875, court
records from 1890 and divorce records
1862--Union County was created 10 April 1862 from unorganized territory.
County seat: Elk Point 
- Dakota County, Nebraska
- Dixon County, Nebraska
- Plymouth County, Iowa
- Sioux County, Iowa
- Woodbury County, Iowa
1905, 1915, 1925 State Censuses --Unique information could include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation & Military Service
1905 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1925 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
- 1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
- 1945 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Beresford
- Records of Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Beresford, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
St. Paul's Lutheran Church
- Records of St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Union County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See South Dakota Land and Property for additional information about early South Dakota land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Union County, South Dakota Genealogy. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section South Dakota Local Histories.
In most counties in South Dakota, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for South Dakota, Union then click Probate records.
South Dakota tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Union County, South Dakota, p.628
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).