Union County, New Jersey Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
- 1860, received part of Woodbridge twp., Middlesex County as part of Rahway twp.
- 1871, Essex County boundary clarified
- 1871, Plainfield boundary with Piscataway twp. of Middlesex County changed
- 1876, boundaries with Essex and Somerset counties clarified
- 1882, Essex County boundary clarified and again in 1892
- 1891, part of Millburn twp., Essex County to Springfield twp. and returned in 1958.
Courtesy of the Plainfield Public Library:
Obtaining Copies of County Probate Records
Copies of recorded probate records and the estate files can be obtained from the surrogate's offices for a fee. Addresses of surrogate's offices are found in:
- Eichholz, Alice, Editor. Ancestry's Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources. Revised Edition. Salt Lake City, Utah: Ancestry, 1992. (Family History Library book 973 D27rb 1992.) Explains state-by-state history, vital records, census, background sources, periodicals, archives, libraries, societies, maps, land, probate, court, tax, cemetery, church, and military records. Includes county boundary map and table which shows when each county was created and the parent counties.
In addition, copies of the original wills, administrations, inventories, and guardianships sent to Trenton since 1901 can be ordered from:
- Clerk of the Superior Court
- Records Information Center
- P.O. Box 967
- Trenton, NJ 08625-0967
- Telephone: 609-292-4978
- Fax: 609-777-0094
- Internet: http://www.answers.com/topic/new-jersey-superior-court
Societies and Libraries
- Plainfield Public Library
800 Park Avenue
Plainfield, NJ 07060
The Local History Department offers newspapers, city directories, local histories, church records, biographies, and more.
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].