Union County, Iowa Genealogy
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1851--Union County was created 15 January 1851 from Pottawattamie County and from non-county area which, in 1846, was in Clarke County until that county's boundaries changed in 1847 (shrinking along with neighboring Lucas County). County seat: Creston 
1893 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures. This Collection features the city of Creston.
Societies and Libraries
- FamilyHistory101.com: "Iowa County Formation Maps"; interactive map of county formation and organization. Online at http://www.familyhistory101.com/maps/ia_cf.html
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).