Union County, Indiana Genealogy
Guide to Union County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Union County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||January 5, 1821|
|Address|| Union County Courthouse |
26 W Union Street
Liberty, IN 47353
Union County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Union County, Indiana Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business Records
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Gazetteers
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 History
- 2.14 Land and Property
- 2.15 Maps
- 2.16 Migration
- 2.17 Military Records
- 2.18 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.19 Newspapers
- 2.20 Obituaries
- 2.21 Occupations
- 2.22 Periodicals
- 2.23 Probate Records
- 2.24 Repositories
- 2.25 School Records
- 2.26 Taxation
- 2.27 Vital Records
- 2.28 Voter Registration
- 3 Union County, Indiana Web Sites
- 4 Union County, Indiana References
February 1903 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
Union County, Indiana Resources
- Cemeteries of Union County USGenWeb
- Fosdick Funeral Home Records: 1915-1971: Courtesy of the Union County Public Library Website
For tips on accessing Union County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Union County ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository.
Dunlapsville Presbyterian Church
- Members of Dunlapsville Presbyterian Church, Liberty Township (1829-1912) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Presbyterian Church, Brownsville
- 1830-1851 - Presbyterian Church, Brownsville, Baptism Index 1830-1851 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free. Batch C524131.
- Directory of Businesses in Union County (1858, 1868) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Directory of Selected Residents of Union County (1876) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
- Biographical and Genealogical History of Wayne, Fayette, Union and Franklin Counties, Indiana. (Indianapolis, Ind: Frederic Luther Co, 1980).977.26 H2b977.26 H2b v. 2 FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collectionother libraries vol. 1 INTERNET ARCHIVE
- History of Union County Likpendium
Land and Property
Maps and GazetteersLinkpendium
War of 1812
Civil War service men from Vermillion County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Vermillion County.
- 3rd Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company F
- 9th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company D
- 15th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company I
- 36th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 84th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 105th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B and D
- 147th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 148th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies F and F
- 152nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
World War I
World War II
Naturalization and Citizenship
Union County Courthouse
26 W Union Street
Liberty, IN 47353
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage, divorce, probate and court records from 1821.
County Health Department has birth records from 1882 and death records from 1907.
Family History Centers
- Indiana State Digital Archives for Death, E-Publication, Institution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892-Ancestry.con $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992- FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959-FamilySearch
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920 - FamilySearch
Union County, Indiana Web Sites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Union County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Union County, Indiana References
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/8/8d/Igiindianah.pdf.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Union County, Indiana 217 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.