Union Cemetery Records
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has burial records of veterans and their family members from VA National Cemeteries, state veterans cemeteries, and other veterans cemeteries around the country. The site also provides links to maps of the cemeteries.
Card Records of Headstones
The record collection "Card Records of Headstones Provided for Deceased Union Civil War Veterans, ca. 1879 - ca. 1903" (NARA M1845) contains 166,000 records of veterans buried in private cemeteries. Cards are arranged alphabetically and contain the name of the veteran, rank, company, regiment, place of burial, name and location of cemetery, grave number, date of death, and supplier of headstones.
The Card Records of Headstones are available to access at no charge at any library that provides free access to Ancestry.com.
Records at the Family History Library
- "Roll of Honor: Names of Soldiers Who Died in Defense of the American Union" 27 Volumes. Published 1865–71. Reprint in ten volumes. Published 1994. (FHL 973 M2roh 1994) (FHL CD #9, part 351) (FHL 1311589–91) (Worldcat) The records are arranged by the burial place. Each entry generally gives the soldier’s name, rank, regiment, company, and death date.
- "Index to the Roll of Honor" (FHL 973 M2roh index) (Worldcat) Indexed by name with volume and page reference for the 27 volumes of the roll of honor.
- "The Unpublished Roll of Honor" (FHL 973 M2roha) (Worldcat) Contains additional names not included in the roll of honor.
- "Bivouac of the Dead" by Mark Hughes (FHL 973 M24h) (Worldcat) Contains a history of the National Cemetery system and burial procedures of the Union army, an index to the original burial site along with final burial site of soldiers (1860–90), and a brief description of each cemetery.
- "Civil War Graves Registration Index Cards, 1861–1930" (FHL1955405 (22films)) This index for the state of Michigan includes name, county of burial, and military unit.
- "Civil War Veterans Buried in Nebraska". Lincoln, Nebraska: State Historical Society,1970. (FHL films 0833155–56) Entries contain name, GAR post number; place of burial, including city and county; cemetery name; grave lot and section; date and place of death; place of birth; date of birth; company; regiment; rank; and enlistment and discharge dates.