Difference between revisions of "Twyford, Norfolk Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (top-level category removed)
m (Text replace - "== Reference ==" to "== References ==")
(14 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Norfolk]]  
+
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Norfolk]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Norfolk Parishes]]
 +
 
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
Contributor: Add a general overview of the history of this parish. It can be a few sentences or a couple of paragraphs.<br>  
+
 
 +
TWYFORD (St. Nicholas), a '''parish''', in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Eynsford, E. division of Norfolk, 1 mile (S. E.) from Guist. <ref>Lewis, Samuel A.,[http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51358#s16 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England''](1848), pp. 404-407. Date accessed: 30 July 2013.</ref><br>
 +
 
 +
Twyford St Nicholas is an Ancient parish in the Sparham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.<br>
 +
 
 +
The name Twyford derives from the Anglo Saxon and means 'double ford' and it is widely found in England in different counties.<br>  
 +
 
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
 +
 
==== Civil Registration  ====
 
==== Civil Registration  ====
 +
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The [[England Civil Registration|civil registration]] article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The [[England Civil Registration|civil registration]] article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
 +
 +
*Mitford 1837-1938
 +
*East Dereham 1939-1974<br>
 +
 
==== Church records  ====
 
==== Church records  ====
 +
 
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
 
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
 +
 +
Images of the parish registers may be viewed online in Historic Records (formerly Record Search) Norfolk Record Office reference PD 261<br>
 +
 +
For transcripts as part of Norfolk Baptisms Project go to http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tinstaafl/Church_Pages/twyford.htm<br>
 +
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.  
+
 
 +
a.&nbsp; {{British Census|438855}}
 +
 
 +
<br>
 +
 
 +
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
 +
 
 +
Mitford &amp;Launditch http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/mitford_and_launditch_workhouse.htm
 +
 
 +
Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948<br>Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14<br>Extent 137 pieces<br>The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.<br>All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.  
 +
 
 +
[[Norfolk Poor Law Unions]]<br><br>
 +
 
 
==== Probate records  ====
 
==== Probate records  ====
 +
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Norfolk Probate Records|Norfolk Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Norfolk Probate Records|Norfolk Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 +
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
 +
 
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
 
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
 +
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp Vision of Britain]
 
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp Vision of Britain]
 +
 
== Web sites  ==
 
== Web sites  ==
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
+
 
 +
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/twyford-st-nicholas/ for information about the parish<br>
 +
 
 +
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51358 British History online<br>
 +
 
 +
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-220704-church-of-st-nicholas-twyford/bingmap British Listed Buildings<br>
 +
 
 +
http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/twyford/twyford.htm Norfolk Churches website<br>
 +
 
 +
== References ==
 +
 
 +
{{reflist}}
  
 
[[Category:Norfolk]]
 
[[Category:Norfolk]]

Revision as of 15:14, 23 August 2013

England  Gotoarrow.png  Norfolk Gotoarrow.png  Norfolk Parishes

Parish History

TWYFORD (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Eynsford, E. division of Norfolk, 1 mile (S. E.) from Guist. [1]

Twyford St Nicholas is an Ancient parish in the Sparham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.

The name Twyford derives from the Anglo Saxon and means 'double ford' and it is widely found in England in different counties.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

  • Mitford 1837-1938
  • East Dereham 1939-1974

Church records

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Images of the parish registers may be viewed online in Historic Records (formerly Record Search) Norfolk Record Office reference PD 261

For transcripts as part of Norfolk Baptisms Project go to http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tinstaafl/Church_Pages/twyford.htm

Census records

a. 

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.



Poor Law Unions

Mitford &Launditch http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/mitford_and_launditch_workhouse.htm

Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948
Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14
Extent 137 pieces
The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.
All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.

Norfolk Poor Law Unions

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

http://www.achurchnearyou.com/twyford-st-nicholas/ for information about the parish

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51358 British History online

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-220704-church-of-st-nicholas-twyford/bingmap British Listed Buildings

http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/twyford/twyford.htm Norfolk Churches website

References

  1. Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 404-407. Date accessed: 30 July 2013.