Turtle Mountain Indian Agency (North Dakota)
The Turtle Mountain Agency was established in 1910 for the Turtle Mountain Chippewa of North Dakota, who had been assigned to the Fort Totten Agency. Fort Totten and Turtle Mountain Agencies were merged in 1947. The merged agency was called the Turtle Mountain Consolidated Agency. However, in 1949, they were separated and became independent agencies again.
Some of the historical textual records of the Turtle Mountain Agency are now housed at the Central Plains Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Kansas City. Among those records, of particular value for genealogical and historical research, are:
- Sanitary reports, 1876-1905
- Record of employees, 1883-1913
- Records relating to land allotments, 1890-1906
- Lists of students arriving and departing, 1897-1910
- Student record folders, ca. 1910-35
- Birth and death certificates, 1919-45
- Birth and death registers, 1924-33
- Vital statistics register, 1927-30
- Burial and removal permits, 1934-40
Some of these agency records have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library and through its system of family history centers (their microfilm numbers 1205538-1205539, 1023369-1023371, 1205152-1205155).
Microfilm copies of “Narrative and Statistical Reports” for the Turtle Mountain Agency, 1910-1937, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Roll 157, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, beginning with their microfilm numbers 1724375.
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1910 thru 1939. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, rolls 595-607. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 583054-583066). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services.