Turner County, South Dakota Genealogy
Turner County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Turner County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||January 13, 1871|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Turner County Courthouse
400 S Main Street
Parker, SD 57053-0446
Clerk Court has birth and death records from 1905,
marriage records from 1872, divorce records from 1907,
probate records from 1866 and court records from 1900;
Register of Deeds has land records
- 1871--Turner County was created 13 January 1871 fromLincoln and Jayne, Eliminiated 13 Jan. 1871, Counties.
County seat: Parker 
Various Turner County Cemeteries transcriptions which may include the name, date of death, date of birth, lot and plot number, and parents or spouses names.
1905, 1915, 1925 State Censuses --Unique information could include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation & Military Service
1905 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1925 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1945 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
- Records of the Lutheran Church, Turner County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See South Dakota Land and Property for additional information about early South Dakota land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Turner County, South Dakota, p.628
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).