Tule River Indian Agency (California)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
Tule (Tularenos), Tejon, Kings River, Mono, Kawai, Wikchamni, and Kern River (Tubatulabal) Bands
The 1900 federal census included population schedules for the Tule River Indian Reservation. The census includes the non-Indian employees of the Tule River Agency, as well as many pages of Indian Population Schedules for the native population of the Reservation. They are recorded as District 72, Tule River Indian Reservation, in Tulare County, California.
Reports of Inspection of the Field Jurisdictions of the Office of Indian Affairs, 1873-1900 have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of Microcopy Number M1070. The reports for Tule River Agency, 1884-1887, are on roll 53 of that Microcopy set. Copies are available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll number 1617726).
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1885-1887, and 1915-1923. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, roll 594. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 583053). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Marquette University. Guide to Catholic-Related Records in the Midwest about Native Americans.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.