Trumbull County, Ohio Genealogy
- 1 County Archives
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Trumbull County Archives
Emily Varner, Archivist. Stone Building, 118 High Street NW, Warren, OH 44481.
The archives includes and maintains the following records:
- Auditors Tax Duplicates 1811, 1839-1946
- Auditors Transfer Lists 1960-1992
- Births 1867-1908
- Commissioners Journals 1828-1929
- Deaths 1867-1908
- Estates 1803-1989
- Marriages 1800-1995
- Mortgage Records & Indices 1850-1947
- Probate Records 1803-1953
- Probate/Administration Docket 1837 on
- Probate Journals 1854-1966
- Wills 1841-1966
Brookfield | Champion | Cortland | DeForest | Girard | Hubbard | Kinsman | Lordstown | Masury | Newton Falls | Niles | Warren
- Crawford County, Pennsylvania
- Lawrence County, Pennsylvania
- Mercer County, Pennsylvania
See the book, Trumbull County Ohio Cemetery Inscriptions 1800-1930 compiled and published by the Trumbull County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society (1983), for a record of tombstone inscriptions found in all of the known cemeteries in the county. Several transcriptions were compiled into this one volume.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Upton, Harriet Taylor. A Twentieth Century History of Trumbull County, Ohio: A Narrative Account of Its Historical Progress, Its People, and Its Principal Interests. Evansville, IN: Whipporwill Publications, 1983. (full-text available at www.books.google.com)
- H.Z. Williams & Bro. History of Trumbull and Mahoning Counties. Cleveland: H.Z. Williams, 1882. (full-text available at www.books.google.com)
- Howe, Henry. Historical Collections of Ohio In Two Volumes. An Encyclopedia of the State. Cincinnati: Published by the State of Ohio, 1907. (full-text available at www.books.google.com)
- Case, Leonard. Early Settlement of Warren, Trumbull Co., Ohio. Cleveland: Fairbanks, Benedict & Co., printers, 1876. (full-text available at www.archive.org)
- Emily L. Varner, compiler, The People of Trumbull County 1800-2000, Cortland, OH: Howland Printing, 2000.
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Trumbull County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Trumbull County.
- - 105th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Companies B, C, and I
1867-1908. Births were not required to be recorded until 1867, and are generally not available prior to that date. The Trumbull County Archives has birth records from 1867-1908 indexed alphabetically on cards.
1908-present. The Ohio Department of Health maintains the birth records from 29 Dec 1908 to present.
1800 - Sept 1995. The Trumbull County Archives has both an alphabetical card index, and actual certificates available. Marriage licenses are available from 1816, when they were kept separately, but in 1891 they were combined with the marriage certificates.
1808-1975, Records. The Trumbull County Archives has transcripts of each case from civil, criminal and divorce courts, in Common Pleas Court Journals and Common Pleas Court Record Books.
1949-present, Abstracts. Abstracts of original divorce decrees from 7 Sep 1949 to present are maintained at the Ohio Department of Health. Records prior to this date are generally maintained in the probate court of the county in which the original marriage license was filed.
1867-1908. The Trumbull County Archives also has the death records for this time period indexed alphabetically on cards. Deaths were not required to be recorded until 1867.
1908-1944. The Ohio Historical Societymaintains death certificates for the state from 20 Dec 1908 - 31 Dec 1944.
1945 - present. The Ohio Department of Health maintains the death certificates for this time period.
Death certificates online:1908-1953 Free name indexes and certificate images at FamilySearch – Pilot. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
Societies and Libraries
Ohio Historical Society
1982 Velma Avenue
Columbus, OH 43211-2497
Warren Trumbull County Public Library Local history and genealogy room
444 Mahoning Avenue NW
Warren, Ohio 44483
(330) 399-8807 ext 120
Unique collections include, among others:
WINNAGLE COLLECTION contains research materials gathered on local families by genealogist Grace Marvin Winnagle (1882-1965). A wide variety of collected data and correspondence is included.
UNUSUAL SOURCES (Records from the Ohio Penitentiary, Ohio Reformatory (Mansfield), the Ohio School for the Deaf & Dumb (Columbus), the Boys Industrial School (Lancaster) and the Girls Industrial School (Delaware) are on microfilm for the early years.)
- USGenWeb project, Trumbull County page. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Trumbull County Genealogical Society
- Trumbull County History & Genealogy - Genealogy Trails
- Trumbull County Ohio History - American Local History Network
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).