Tring, Hertfordshire Genealogy
Tring, is a small town, a parish, and a sub-district, in Hertfordshire. The town is on Icknield-street, and is 1 3/4 of a mile W of the Northwestern railway, 5 miles NW of Berkhampstead; it was once known as Treung. There are 5 dissenting chapels, two of them are Baptists and Independents.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. To view these census images online, they are available through a number of websites for a fee ($) or free.
- FamilySearch now has all of the British Censuses available.
- findmypast ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
- 1524/5 Lay Subsidy (E179/120/122 roll 3) has been microfilmed: FHL Film 2228679.
- 1626 Lay Subsidy (E179/121/329 membrane 1 dorse) has been microfilmed: FHL Film 2228680.
- 1628 Lay Subsidy (E179/121/331 roll 3) has been microfilmed: FHL Film 2228680.
- 1628 Lay Subsidy (E179/121/333 roll 2 dorse) has been microfilmed: FHL Film 2228680.
- 1628 Lay Subsidy (E179/121/336 roll 3) has been microfilmed: FHL Film 2228680.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hertfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- 1. Wilson, John M., Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, publ. London & Edinburgh: 1870 See at: http//www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions/index.jsp
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.