Transylvania County, North Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Transylvania County North Carolina genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Transylvania County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Transvylvania County Courthouse
12 E Main St P O box 417
Brevard, NC 28712
Register of Deeds has birth and death records from 1913
marriage and land records from 1861 and military records
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, probate and court records
From 1789-1820, there was a boundary dispute between North Carolina and Georgia for a county known as Walton County. It was located in what is now Transylvania County, North Carolina, and the dispute was serious enough that the two states dispatched their militias in what was known as Walton's War. See copy of Map under below collections. Read more about Walton's War.
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in North Carolina counties see: North Carolina Counties with Burned Courthouses
- Greenville County, South Carolina
- Oconee County, South Carolina
- Pickens County, South Carolina
- Transylvania County Cemeteries at Find-A-Grave
- Cathey's Creek Church Cemetery, Cathey's Creek BillionGraves
- Census records on the Transylvania County NCGenWeb site - includes several mortality schedules
For tips on accessing Transylvania County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Several NC state business directories are available online. Visit this list of directories, open the directory, and navigate to Transylvania County. Directories include information on area businesses and citizens.
- Brevard College Yearbooks, 1935-1998 -- digitized by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Transylvania County county students at NC colleges – via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
- Walton County, NC - now extinct, disputed county between NC & GA, includes history
- Maps of Transylvania County - via NC Maps website from UNC
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- - 5th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Company G
:- 7th Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry, Company A
:- 7th Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry, Company H
- Transylvania County newspapers - a listing of newspapers published in the county; via the Library of Congress
- North Carolina Newspaper Digitization Project - contains full-text papers from 1752-1890s. Search for your Carteret County ancestors.
- Transylvania Times - a current newspaper of Brevard, NC
- 1810-1951 - Index to Transylvania County estate records, 1810 to 1951
- 1879-1968 - Wills Cross Index, 1879-1968, Vol. 1 have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- North Carolina Births and Christenings, 1866-1964 - search this name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state ; via FamilySearch
- 1861-1970 - Transylvania County Marriage Index 1861-1970 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- North Carolina Marriages, 1762-1979 - via FamilySearch; images included
- Transylvania County marriages - are included in Carrie Broughton's 6-volume index of the Raleigh Register & State Gazette newspaper (1799-1893). Marriages are listed by year and PDF files are searcheable. Available on the North Carolina Digital Collections website.
- 1913-1916 - Transylvania County death certificates, 1913-1916
- 1911-1961 - Transylvania County Death Index 1911-1961. Batch B580151 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1906-1930 - North Carolina Death Certificates, 1906-1930 - via FamilySearch; images included
- 1898-1994 - North Carolina Deaths & Burials, 1898-1994 - via FamilySearch
Societies and Libraries
Transylvania Genealogical Society, www.transylvaniagenealogy.com
Transylvania Heritage Museum, www.transylvaniaheritage.net
Family History Centers
- Transylvania County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- Transylvania GenWeb Project- free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- Transylvania County Archives-USGenWeb
- Old Walton County, GA
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Transylvania County, North Carolina. Page 513 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f5/Iginorthcarolinap.pdf.