Difference between revisions of "Tittleshall, Norfolk Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Text replace - "http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census<br>" to "")
(Added to parish history)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[England]]&nbsp; [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; [[Norfolk]]  
+
[[England]]&nbsp; [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; [[Norfolk]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; [[Norfolk Parishes]]
 +
 
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
  
Tittleshall St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the Brisley Deanery of the Dioces of Norwich. Other places in the parish include Godwick which has a ruined church All Saints described by Simon Knott&nbsp;http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/godwick/godwick.htm <br>
+
TITTLESHALL (St. Mary), a '''parish''', in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 10 miles (N. N. E.) from Swaffham. There are places of worship for '''dissenters'''. <ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51346#s29 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England''] (1848), pp. 362-366. Date accessed: 29 July 2013.</ref><br>
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
Tittleshall St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the Brisley Deanery of the Dioces of Norwich. Other places in the parish include Godwick which has a ruined church All Saints described by Simon Knott&nbsp;http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/godwick/godwick.htm <br>  
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
 +
 
==== Civil Registration  ====
 
==== Civil Registration  ====
  
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The [[England Civil Registration|civil registration]] article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The [[England Civil Registration|civil registration]] article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
  
*Mitford 1837-1938
+
*Mitford 1837-1938  
 
*East Dereham 1939-1974<br>
 
*East Dereham 1939-1974<br>
  
Line 16: Line 22:
 
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
 
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
  
Images of the parish registers may be viewed online in Historic Records (formerly Record Search) Norfolk Record Office reference PD 271 Tittleshall with Godwick<br>
+
Images of the parish registers may be viewed online in Historic Records (formerly Record Search) Norfolk Record Office reference PD 271 Tittleshall with Godwick<br>  
  
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
Line 22: Line 28:
 
a.&nbsp; {{British Census|438863}}  
 
a.&nbsp; {{British Census|438863}}  
  
 +
<br>
  
 +
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
  
==== Poor Law Unions ====
+
Mitford &amp;Launditch &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/mitford_and_launditch_workhouse.htm
  
Mitford &amp;Launditch &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/mitford_and_launditch_workhouse.htm
+
Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948<br>Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14<br>Extent 137 pieces<br>The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.<br>All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.<br><br>
  
Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948<br>Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14<br>Extent 137 pieces<br>The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.<br>All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.<br><br>
+
==== Probate records  ====
  
==== Probate records  ====
 
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Norfolk Probate Records|Norfolk Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Norfolk Probate Records|Norfolk Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 +
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
 +
 
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
 
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
 +
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp Vision of Britain]
 
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp Vision of Britain]
 +
 
== Web sites  ==
 
== Web sites  ==
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/tittleshall-st-mary/ for information about the parish.  
 
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/tittleshall-st-mary/ for information about the parish.  
  
http://www.tittleshall.com/page.jsp?page=heritage for history of the parish<br>
+
http://www.tittleshall.com/page.jsp?page=heritage for history of the parish<br>
 +
 
 +
http://www.tittleshall.com/page.jsp?page=coke for Coke family history<br>
 +
 
 +
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51346 British History online<br>  
  
http://www.tittleshall.com/page.jsp?page=coke for Coke family history<br>
+
http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/tittleshall/tittleshall.htm Norfolk Churches website<br>  
  
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51346 British History online<br>
+
== Reference ==
  
http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/tittleshall/tittleshall.htm Norfolk Churches website<br>
+
{{reflist}}
  
 
[[Category:Norfolk]]
 
[[Category:Norfolk]]

Revision as of 18:42, 29 July 2013

England  Gotoarrow.png  Norfolk Gotoarrow.png  Norfolk Parishes

Parish History

TITTLESHALL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 10 miles (N. N. E.) from Swaffham. There are places of worship for dissenters. [1]


Tittleshall St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the Brisley Deanery of the Dioces of Norwich. Other places in the parish include Godwick which has a ruined church All Saints described by Simon Knott http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/godwick/godwick.htm

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

  • Mitford 1837-1938
  • East Dereham 1939-1974

Church records

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Images of the parish registers may be viewed online in Historic Records (formerly Record Search) Norfolk Record Office reference PD 271 Tittleshall with Godwick

Census records

a. 

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.



Poor Law Unions

Mitford &Launditch      http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/mitford_and_launditch_workhouse.htm

Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948
Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14
Extent 137 pieces
The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.
All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites


http://www.achurchnearyou.com/tittleshall-st-mary/ for information about the parish.

http://www.tittleshall.com/page.jsp?page=heritage for history of the parish

http://www.tittleshall.com/page.jsp?page=coke for Coke family history

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51346 British History online

http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/tittleshall/tittleshall.htm Norfolk Churches website

Reference

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 362-366. Date accessed: 29 July 2013.