Tippah County, Mississippi Genealogy
Guide to Tippah County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
A wiki article describing an online colleciton is found at:
Mississippi Tippah County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
1836--Tippah County was created 9 February 1836 from the Chickasaw Cession.
County seat: Ripley 
For tips on accessing Tippah County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
- Civil War service men from Tippah County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Tippah County.
- - 10th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (New)
- Company K - Beauregard Relief
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Partisans [Also known as 2nd Partisan Rangers Cavalry/Ballentine’s]
- Company E - McDowell’s Company
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi State Cavalry
- Company A - Citizen Guards
- Company K - Pettus Rangers
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company B – O’Connor Rifles
- Company D – Joe Matthews
- Company F – Magnolia Rifles
- Company L – Liberty Guards
- - 3rd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry
- Company F - Tippah Highlanders
- - 3rd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company G - Daniel’s Company
- - 7th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company A - Forrest Cavalry, aka Ford’s Company
- Company B - Hovis’ Company
- Company C - Green’s Company
- Company D - Holcomb’s Company
- Company E - Buncomb’s Fighting Cocks, aka Rogers’ Company
- Company F - Duncan’s Company
- Company G - Stancill’s Company, aka Garrett’s Company, and aka White’s Company
- Company H - Wheeler’s Company, aka Polk’s/Park’s Company
- Company I - McKenzie’s Company, aka Young’s Company
- Company L - Garrett’s Company
- - 32nd Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company E - Hatchie Tigers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Tippah County, Mississippi Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1858-1899 - Tippah County Marriages 1858-1899. Courtesy: MSGenWeb - free.
- 1858-1918 - Tippah County Marriage Books 1-10 Index 1858-1918 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
A wiki article describing an online collectons is found at:
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Tippah County, Mississippi page 383, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f2/Igimississippip.pdf.