Terrell County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Terrell County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Terrell County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||February 16, 1856|
|Address|| Terrell County Courthouse|
235 E Lee Street
Dawson, GA 31742-2100
Terrell County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Terrell County Courthouse
235 E Lee Street
Dawson, GA 31742-2100
County Health Department has birth and death records;
probate court has marriage and probate records Clerk
Superior Court has divorce and court records from 1919
and land records from 1826
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Terrell County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Terrell County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Terrell County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Wills, Book A, 1857-1871 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Will Book A, 1857-1913 Georgia Pioneers
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Georgia.
- 1856-1885 - Terrell County Marriage Books A and B Index 1856-1885. Batch M713811 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1869-1888 - Terrell County Marriage Index 1869-1888. Batch M713812 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1885-1886 - Terrell County Marriages from old Newspapers 1885-1886 at Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1885-1896 - Terrell County Marriage Book C Index 1885-1896. Batch M713813 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1888-1895 - Terrell County Marriage Index 1888-1895. Batch M713814 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Terrell County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Terrell County, Georgia. Page 160 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/53/Igigeorgiamz.pdf.