Tennessee, United States Genealogy
Welcome to Tennessee, Volunteer State
|Tennessee Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
- Tennessee is informally segregated into three "Grand Divisions" that are topographically, politically, economically, and culturally different. East Tennessee even attempted to secede from the rest of the State during the Civil War. See maps and details at the TNGenWeb site.
- Did you know that at least 20 counties in Tennessee did not begin registering marriages until 1838? For more information, see Tennessee Vital Records.
- In 1820, Tennessee's top three manufactured goods were whiskey, blacksmith's products, and flour. Learn more at Tennessee Occupations.
- Listen to our complete collection of audio files of Tennessee county name pronunciations flavored with local accents.
- Even though many 1820 East Tennessee census population schedules have been lost, manufactures schedules survive for most counties. A free online index is available at Lineages.
- Tennessee State Library and Archives, Nashville
- East Tennessee Historical Society, Knoxville
- Germantown Regional History and Genealogy Center near Memphis
- National Archives Southeast Region (Atlanta)
Free online video classes are available for:
The Tennessee GenWeb Project has a wealth of information and is a part of the larger USGenWeb Project. The USGenWeb Project provides internet information on every county in every state in the United States.
The moderator for Tennessee content is Richard Petty (username: pettyr1).
Things you can do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by adding the following resources to county pages: