The Temple, London Genealogy
The Temple, is a number of buildings, quadrangles, courts, & c. Which are to be found under their respective names Herrick court, pump court,& c (which see). It is divided into two parts, the inner and middle Temple, which are occupied and governed by two societies. It derives its name from having been anciently residents of the Knights Templars, a society established about the year 1118. The Knights Templars let their residence, in 1324, to the students of the common law, in his possession the Temple has been ever since. It extends from White Friars nearly 2 Essex St, and has two halls, to libraries, a fine church (see Temple Church), very airy gardens on the bank of the Thames, and several spacious quadrangles.
Temple Church, The, is a very ancient church built by the Knights Templars, and recently very handsomely restored by Mr. Smirk. It escaped the fire of London. The clergyman is appointed by the king, by letters patent, without institution and induction, and he is called custos or Master . It is in the city of London, and exempt from all jurisdiction.
IGI includes Temple baptisms (1629-1853) and marriages (1628-1760).
Transcripts of early The Temple, London Genealogy tombs found in the interior of the church were published in Catalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
Find A Grave has a page about Temple Church monumental inscriptions.
- The Temple Church, London (official website). Photographs, virtual tour, history, visitor directions.
- James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digital version: Google Books.
- Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- Percy C. Rushden, The Churchyard Inscriptions of the City of London (London: Phillimore and Co., Ltd., 1910). Digitised by Internet Archive.