Difference between revisions of "The Temple, London Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(breadcrumb, footnote)
Line 1: Line 1:
Return to the [[London Parishes St T-Z]] page.  
+
''[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[London]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[London Parishes|London Parishes]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Temple, The|The Temple]]''
 +
 
 +
== History  ==
  
 
The Temple, is a number of buildings, quadrangles, courts, & c. Which are to be found under their respective names Herrick court, pump court,& c (which see). It is divided into two parts, the inner and middle Temple, which are occupied and governed by two societies. It derives its name from having been anciently residents of the Knights Templars, a society established about the year 1118. The Knights Templars let their residence, in 1324, to the students of the common law, in his possession the Temple has been ever since. It extends from White Friars nearly 2 Essex St, and has two halls, to libraries, a fine church (see Temple Church), very airy gardens on the bank of the Thames, and several spacious quadrangles.  
 
The Temple, is a number of buildings, quadrangles, courts, & c. Which are to be found under their respective names Herrick court, pump court,& c (which see). It is divided into two parts, the inner and middle Temple, which are occupied and governed by two societies. It derives its name from having been anciently residents of the Knights Templars, a society established about the year 1118. The Knights Templars let their residence, in 1324, to the students of the common law, in his possession the Temple has been ever since. It extends from White Friars nearly 2 Essex St, and has two halls, to libraries, a fine church (see Temple Church), very airy gardens on the bank of the Thames, and several spacious quadrangles.  
  
Temple Church, The, is a very ancient church built by the Knights Templars, and recently very handsomely restored by Mr. Smirk. It escaped the fire of London. The clergyman is appointed by the king, by letters patent, without institution and induction, and he is called custos or Master . It is in the city of London, and exempt from all jurisdiction.  
+
Temple Church, The, is a very ancient church built by the Knights Templars, and recently very handsomely restored by Mr. Smirk. It escaped the fire of London. The clergyman is appointed by the king, by letters patent, without institution and induction, and he is called custos or Master . It is in the city of London, and exempt from all jurisdiction.<ref>James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect, ''A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions'' (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digital version: [http://books.google.com/books?id=tjEQAAAAYAAJ Google Books].</ref>
 +
 
 +
== References  ==
 +
 
 +
<references />
 +
 
 +
{{London}}
  
[Adapted from: "Topographical Dictionary Of London" by James Elmes; published 1831]
 
{{London}}
 
 
[[Category:London]]
 
[[Category:London]]

Revision as of 02:15, 13 July 2011

England Gotoarrow.png London Gotoarrow.png London Parishes Gotoarrow.png The Temple

History

The Temple, is a number of buildings, quadrangles, courts, & c. Which are to be found under their respective names Herrick court, pump court,& c (which see). It is divided into two parts, the inner and middle Temple, which are occupied and governed by two societies. It derives its name from having been anciently residents of the Knights Templars, a society established about the year 1118. The Knights Templars let their residence, in 1324, to the students of the common law, in his possession the Temple has been ever since. It extends from White Friars nearly 2 Essex St, and has two halls, to libraries, a fine church (see Temple Church), very airy gardens on the bank of the Thames, and several spacious quadrangles.

Temple Church, The, is a very ancient church built by the Knights Templars, and recently very handsomely restored by Mr. Smirk. It escaped the fire of London. The clergyman is appointed by the king, by letters patent, without institution and induction, and he is called custos or Master . It is in the city of London, and exempt from all jurisdiction.[1]

References

  1. James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digital version: Google Books.