Tehama County, California Genealogy
Guide to Tehama County California genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Tehama County, California|
Location in the state of California
Location of California in the U.S.
|Founded||April 9, 1856|
|County Seat||Red Bluff|
|Address|| Tehama County Courthouse|
633 Washington Street
Red Bluff, CA 96080
Tehama County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Historical Facts
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Bible Records
- 4.2 Biography
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Church History and Records
- 4.5 Census
- 4.6 Court Records
- 4.7 Crime and Criminals
- 4.8 Directories
- 4.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 4.10 Gazetteers
- 4.11 Genealogy
- 4.12 History
- 4.13 Maps
- 4.14 Migration
- 4.15 Military History and Records
- 4.16 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 4.17 Newspapers
- 4.18 Obituaries
- 4.19 Periodicals
- 4.20 Probate Records
- 4.21 Repositories
- 4.22 Societies
- 4.23 Taxation
- 4.24 Vital Records
- 4.25 Voting Registers
- 5 Websites
- 6 References
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1889
marriage records from 1856 and military records from 1944
Red Bluff Cemetery District
735 Cemetery Lane, Red Bluff, California
7772 Woodlawn Ave.
Corning Cemetery District
4470 Oren Ave.
3900 County Road P.
Church History and Records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about California denominations, view the California Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
For tips on accessing Tehama County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See California Land and Property for additional information about early California land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- California Trail 1846 to 1869 from western Missouri to northern California
- The Lassen Cutoff 1848 was established by gold rushers from Oregon going to California. It branched off the Applegate Trail at Davis Creek, went through Devil's Garden to the Pit River passing east of Mt. Lassen, and turning west to Lassen Rancho, California, and from there to Sacramento. In some years as much as 1/3 of emigrants mistakenly took the Applegate Trail-Lassen Cutoff, a much longer and more difficult trail than the Truckee or Carson routes.
- Nobles Road 1851 from the Applegate Trail at Rabbithole Springs in the Black Rock Desert of Nevada to Shasta City, California
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Tehama County, California Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Corning California Family History Center
- Red Bluff California Family History Center
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records. The State office has records since July 1905. For earlier records, contact the County Recorder.
- Tehama County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives backup site
- FamilySearch Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Tehama County, California. Page 87At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- National Park Service, "California Trail" (map) in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/upload/CALImap1-web.pdf (accessed 5 August 2011).
- Wikipedia contributors, "California Trail" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Trail (accessed 5 August 2012).