Teddington, Middlesex Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 17:20, 26 January 2012 by Cottrells (talk | contribs) (Text replace - 'Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film )

Jump to: navigation, search

England  Gotoarrow.png  Middlesex Gotoarrow.png  Middlesex Parishes Gotoarrow.png  Teddington

Parish History

"TEDDINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Kingston, hundred of Spelthorne, county of Middlesex, 11 miles (S. W. by W.) from London; containing 1199 inhabitants, and comprising 1052 acres by admeasurement. The village stands on the western bank of the Thames, on the road from London, through Isleworth, to Hampton Court. Bushy Park, the usual country residence of His late Majesty William IV. and his queen Adelaide, before their accession to the throne, is partly in the parish. Here are the wax-bleaching grounds and candle-manufactory of Messrs. Barclay, the largest and most complete establishment of the kind in the kingdom, where during the summer months, nearly four acres of ground are covered with wax, of which about 200,0001b. are annually bleached, and in winter formed into candles by hand. Connected with this factory is a very extensive one of spermaceti, chiefly carried on in Leicester-square. The living is a donative curacy; net income £91; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Bradford: the tithes were commuted for land in 1799. The church, which has been repewed, is principally in the later English style, and contains the remains of Sir Orlando Bridgeman, who died in 1674, and of Dr. Stephen Hall, clerk of the closet to the Princess of Wales (mother of George III.), and 51 years minister of the parish, to which he was a liberal benefactor. Her Majesty the Queen Dowager lately presented £100 towards the erection of a parsonage-house. Twelve girls are instructed for £20 a year, the rent of cottages and lands purchased with £40 left by Dorothy Bridgeman in 1694, and with a smaller sum from the parish funds. There is also a national school."

1. Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 310-314. Online here, (accessed: 05 May 2010.)


Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Census records

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Poor Law Unions

Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.