Tatsfield, Surrey Genealogy
'TATSFIELD, or Tattesfield, a parish, in the union of Godstone, Second division of the hundred of Tandridge, E. division of Surrey, 3 miles (N. W. by W.) from Westerham; containing 172 inhabitants, and comprising 1280a. 12p. The manor belonged to Odo, halfbrother of William the Conqueror, and is mentioned in Domesday Book under the appellation of Tatelefelle; among later proprietors may be named the Uvedales, Greshams, and Gowers. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 0. 5.; net income, £150; patron, William L. Gower, Esq. The church is principally in the early English style; the body was almost entirely rebuilt in 1838, by subscription, and the tower and south porch, which are elegant specimens of that style, at the expense of the Rev. Thomas Streatfeild, the curate.'
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Local Family History Centre
Orpington Family History Centre, Kent is within the London Borough of Bromley, located adjacent to Orpington Station and on major bus routes through the borough.