Click this link for examples on how to index these records
How to Index Single Image Multiple Record Batches
Names - Which ones are to be indexed? Example
Forms - Be sure and index these less common forms - Examples
This page will be updated as needed
There are a couple things to watch for in this project:
- You don't have to account for blank lines - just skip over them to the next line. This also applies when the document has line numbers.
- Some lines have two names - make sure you add a record for the second name
- Do not index the terms, "for" and "Heirs"
- Use the Owner column for the Owner names, only. If there aren't any names in that column, make the document as No Extractable Data. Agents, administrators, etc. are not indexed.
- Enlarging the image is very helpful on this project.
- If a company is listed as Owner with stockholder names, do not index the Company name or the stockholders
- There will be some Texas Poll Tax records mixed in with these batches. Mark them as No Extractable Data and submit.
- Abbreviations "fmc" (free man of color) and "fwc" (free woman of color) should be indexed in the Titles or Terms field. If the name is completely spelled out and appears as Free Man of Color or Free Woman of Color, it is to be abbreviated as fmc/fwc and put in the Title and Term field.
Your Findings and suggestions for this project:
We welcome your input and questions about your experiences from indexing and arbitrating this project.
Note: You will need an LDS or FamilySearch account to add to these pages, which is the same as the user name and password used for indexing.
Situation that does not seem to have been addressed...
Page has 3 colums of names... "Names", "To Whom Granted", "Present Owners"
I know "To Whome Granted" is the Grantee and not indexed. Based on the instruction above: "Some lines have two names - make sure you add a record for the second name" My call is to index both people in "Names" and "Present Owners" columns separately as 2 individual records.
What is correct?
See FSI facebook page for original question here: http://www.facebook.com/familysearchindexing/posts/10150267420959156
- Above link to forums needs to changed. Leads right back to this page instead of the forums.