Sweetwater County, Wyoming Genealogy
Guide to Sweetwater County Wyoming genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Sweetwater County, Wyoming|
Location of Wyoming in the U.S.
|Founded||December 27, 1867|
|County Seat||Green River|
|Address|| Sweetwater County Courthouse|
80 W Flaming Gorge Way
PO Box 730
Green River, WY 82935
Sweetwater County Website
- 1 History
- 2 Places/Localities
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
Formed from the western half of Laramie county 27 Dec 1867 (Laramie county originally encompassed the entire state). Originally named Carter county and original county seat South Pass City. The county was renamed Sweetwater by the first Wyoming Legislative Assembly. The county seat was moved to Green River in 1873.
|Arrowhead Springs||Creston Junction||Kanda||Red Desert||Superior|
|Bairoil||Dines (hist.)||Little America||Reliance||Sweeney Ranch|
|Bitter Creek||Eden||McKinnon||Riner||Table Rock|
|Bryan||Fort La Clede (hist.)||North Rock Springs||Rock Springs||Tipton|
|Burntfork||Granger||Point of Rocks||Salt Wells||Wamsutter|
|Clearview Acres||Green River||Purple Sage||South Superior||Washam|
|Creston||James Town||Quealy||Squaw Hollow (hist.)||Winton|
- Daggett County, Utah
- Moffat County, Colorado
- Summit County, Utah
|Bryan "Railroad Section"||978.785 V3m, 978.785 V3ma|
|Farson, Eden Valley Cemetery||978.785 V3ma|
|Green River||978.785/G1 V3s|
| Green River, Riverview Cemetery. City cemetery listing at Parks & Recreation. Also indexed at findagrave.com.
||978.785 V3m, 978.785 V3ma|
| Rock Springs, City Cemetery: Mountain View Section, St. Joseph's Section, Paul J. Wataha Memorial Park Section. All standing and readable stones were photographed as of May 2011, indexed at findagrave.com.
||978.785/R1 V3r (some obituary records)|
|Rock Springs, Rest Haven Memorial Garden||978.785 V3ma|
|Superior||978.785/S1 V3b, 978.785 V3ma|
- Mountain View Cemetery, Rock Springs BillionGraves. Possibly part of Rock Springs City Cemetery.
For tips on accessing Sweetwater County, Wyoming Genealogy census records online, see: Wyoming Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Green River, McKinnon, Reliance, Rock Springs,Rock Springs 1st, Rock Springs 2nd, Superior and Winton .
Early migration routes to and from Sweetwater County, Wyoming Genealogy for European and African American settlers included:
- South Pass
- Green River
- Oregon Trail 1830s to 1890s from western Missouri to Oregon City, Oregon
- Sublette-Greenwood_Cutoff 1844 from South Pass, Wyoming to Fort Hall, Idaho
- California Trail 1846 to 1869 from western Missouri to northern California
- Mormon Trail 1846 to 1869 from Nauvoo, Illinois to Salt Lake City, Utah
- Cherokee Trail 1850 from Salina, Oklahoma to Grainger/Fort Bridger, Wyoming
- Union Pacific Railroad 1925 from Grainger, Wyoming via Boise to Portland, Oregon
- Searchable digitized newspaper from Rock Springs, Green River and Bryan, WY at the Wyoming Newspaper Project.
The bulk of the probate case files from the 1870's to the 1940's have been transferred to the Wyoming State Archives in Cheyenne. Check their website for additional details.
County Clerk has marriage records from 1864 and land records from 1876; Clerk Distric Court has divorce, probate and court records
924 marriages from 7 Jun 1870 to 25 Jun 1904 are listed on the Western States Marriage Index.
Marriage index, formation of county to May, 2011 available as a spreadsheet at Sweetwater County GenWeb.
Societies and Libraries
- Sweetwater County Historical Museum
3 E. Flaming Gorge Way
Green River 82935
- Rock Springs Historical Museum Various holdings including sporadic Polk city directories and high school yearbooks.
- Sweetwater County Library System Polk directories, microfilm of Green River and Rock Springs newspapers.
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Green River Wyoming Family History Center
- Rock Spring Wyoming Family History Center
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Genealogy Trails: Sweetwater County Site. A Volunteer project dedicated to making genealogy records free to the public. Includes links to births, marriages and deaths; newspaper stories obituaries, censuses, military data, and more.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Jim Tompkins, "The Oregon Trail 1841-1848 Map IV" in Oregon Trail Landmarks at http://www.oregonpioneers.com/OTMap4.jpg (accessed 18 July 2011).
- "Oregon California Trails Association" at http://octatrails.micromaps.com/ (accessed 18 July 2011).
- "The Pioneer Story: The Mormon Pioneer Trail" in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at http://lds.org/gospellibrary/pioneer/pioneerstory.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Cherokee Trail" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee_Trail (accessed 19 July 2011).
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 767. Sweetwater County, Wyoming