Difference between revisions of "Sutter County, California Genealogy"
(Removed link to CSGA website as requested by the former president. CSGA is now dissolved.)
m (Text replacement - "[[California Genealogy|" to "[[California, United States Genealogy|")
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
| link1=[[United States Genealogy|United States]]
| link1=[[United States Genealogy|United States]]
| link2= [[California Genealogy|California]]
| link2= [[CaliforniaGenealogy|California]]
Revision as of 23:55, 22 December 2017
|Sutter County, California|
Location in the state of California
Location of California in the U.S.
|Founded||February 18, 1850|
|County Seat||Yuba City|
|Address|| Sutter County Courthouse|
433 2nd Street
Yuba City, CA 95992
Sutter County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Land and Property
- 5.14 Maps
- 5.15 Migration
- 5.16 Military History and Records
- 5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.18 Newspapers
- 5.19 Obituaries
- 5.20 Periodicals
- 5.21 Probate Records
- 5.22 Repositories
- 5.23 Societies
- 5.24 Taxation
- 5.25 Vital Records
- 5.26 Voting Registers
- 6 Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Sutter County, California Record Dates
County Clerk Recorder has birth and death records from 1873
marriage, land and military records from 1850
Civil Division of Courts has divorce, probate and court records
18 February 1850: Sutter County was created as an original county. County seat: Yuba City 
The county was named after General John Sutter, a native of Switzerland, who obtained a large land grant from the Mexican government, and called his first settlement New Helvetia (now the City of Sacramento). The county seat Yuba City and the county was created 1850. The County is located in the north central area of the state.
For animated maps illustrating California county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation California County Boundary Maps" (1850-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1871: The Courthhouse was destroyed by fire in 1871. A second and larger courthouse, completed in 1873, was also set fire and many records were damaged.
- Butte, California
- Colusa, California
- Placer, California
- Sacramento, California
- Yolo, California
- Yuba, California
The following web sites may have additional information on Sutter County cemeteries.
- Interment.net California cemetery records by County.
For tips on accessing Sutter County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
- Sutter County Census Records (CAGenWeb Project)
Church History and Records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about California denominations, view the California Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Yuba City
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Sutter County, California Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section California Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See California Land and Property for additional information about early California land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Military History and Records
- 1883 - Sutter County – List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
World War II
- Sutter County, Index to World War II Army Enlistees (USGenWeb Archives)
- Sutter County World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel (Genealogy Trails)
Naturalization and Citizenship
The Family History Library in Salt Lake City has microfilmed copies of Naturalization records of Sutter County found in the county courthouse in Yuba City. These copies are available for viewing at the Library in Salt Lake City, or can be ordered for viewing at any of the Library's Family History Centers.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Sutter County, California Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Sutter County Transcribed Obituaries (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Sutter County Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
The county clerk is usually the custodian of probate records. The records include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
You can obtain copies of the original probate records (such as wills and estate files) by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for California - Sutter - Probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1782 – 1999 California Wills and Probate Records 1782-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1833 – 1991 California Probate Estate Files 1833-1991 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
California tax records complement land records and can supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page California Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records. The State office has records since July 1905. For earlier records, contact the County Recorder. See also How to order California Vital Records
- 1812 - 1988 - California Births and Christenings, 1812-1988 at FamilySearch — index
- 1905 - 1995 - California Birth Index, 1905-1995 at FamilySearch — index
- Early Sutter County Birth Notices (Genealogy Trails
- 1850 - 1945 - California Marriages, 1850-1945 at FamilySearch — index
- 1850 - 1952 - California, County Marriages, 1850-1952 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1854 - 1885 - Western States Marriage Index.
- 1960 - 1985 - California Marriage Index, 1960-1985 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Early Sutter County Marriage Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- 1905 - 1939 - California Death Index, 1905-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1940 - 1997 - California Death Index, 1940-1997 at FamilySearch — index
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Sutter County Historical Society
1333 Butte House Road
Yuba City 95993-2301
- Sutter County, CA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- California Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- California Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Sutter County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Sutter County, California Genealogy Trails
- Sutter County CA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 62-75. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Sutter County, California. Page 87At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Sutter County, California Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/cal/sutter/ 05/08/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Sutter County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutter_County,_California 05/08/2017.