Sullivan County, Missouri Genealogy
Guide to Sullivan County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Sullivan County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||February 17, 1843|
|Address|| Sullivan County Courthouse|
109 N Main Street
Milan, MO 63556
Sullivan County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Recorder Deeds has incomplete birth records 1867-1895,
marriage and land records from 1845, death records 1883-1896;
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records from 1845;
Probate Judge has probate records from 1845
See an interactive map of Sullivan County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
For tips on accessing Sullivan County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
- 1870-1872 - Milan Catholic Church Baptism Index 1870-1872. Batch C511541 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1871 - Milan Catholic Church Marriage Index 1871. Batch M511541 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
- Family Maps of Sullivan County, Missouri Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Interactive map of Sullivan County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Sullivan County.
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
- 1867-1885 - Sullivan County Birth Index 1867-1884. Batches C514609, C514627, and C514628 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1845-1881 - Sullivan County Marriage Index 1845-1881. Batch M515851 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Sullivan County Marriage Index 1881-1885. Batch M515852 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883 - Sullivan County Death Index 1883. Batch B514627 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Sullivan County, Missouri. Page 406 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f4/Igimissourir.pdf.