Streatham St Leonard, Surrey Genealogy
STREATHAM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Wandsworth district, Surrey. The village stands on the West-End and Croydon railway, 6½ miles SSW of St. Pauls, London; dates from ancient times; and has a post-office‡ under London S, a r. station with telegraph, a police station, and a much-frequented mineral spring.—The parish contains also Upper Tooting, Selhurst, Thornton-Heath, Streatham-Common, and Balsam hamlets,- all of which, except the first, have r. stations; and it includes a detached tract, called Knights-Hill, between Lambeth and Camberwell. Acres, 2,904. Real property, £35,887. Pop. in 1851, 6,901; in 1861, 8,027. Houses, 1,246. The property is much subdivided; and there are numerous good residences. S. Park was the seat of the Thralls, and long, in their time, the domicile of Dr. Johnson. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £1,200.* Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church was rebuilt in 1830, and its spire in 1842. A chapel of ease, built in 1868, is under care of the rector; and five other churches, in Christchurch-Road, Grove-Road, Streatham-Common, Balham, and Upper Tooting, are separate charges. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Independents, fifteen national schools, an endowed school with £20 a year, St-Ann's Society schools, and charities £190.—The sub-district includes Lower Tooting, and comprises 3,465 acres. Pop., 10,082. Houses, 1,613.
Also consider the following treatise for a hamlet within the jurisdiction of Streatham St Leonard with its accomanying chapel:
TOOTING, UPPER, a hamlet, in the parish of Streatham, union of Wandsworth, E. division of Brixton hundred and of the county of Surrey, 6¾ miles (S. S. W.) from London. This village, which is also designated Tooting-Beck, is well sheltered from the north winds; and the salubrity of the air, the purity of the water, and its dry gravelly soil, have made it the residence of several respectable families. In that part adjoining Balham-Hill, a hamlet in the same parish, is a proprietary episcopal chapel, built by the inhabitants, at an expense of nearly £7000, about the year 1806, and since greatly enlarged; it will accommodate about 1000 persons: over the altar is a painted window.
From: 'Tonbridge - Topsham', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 372-377. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51349 Date accessed: 13 April 2011.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870)
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.