Storey County, Nevada Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Storey County Courthouse
PO Box D;
Virginia City, NV 89440-0139
County Recorder has birth, marriage, and death records from 1875
and land records; County Clerk has divorce and court records from 1861
and probate records from 1875
1861--Storey County was created 25 November 1861 as an original county. County seat: Virginia City 
|Divide||Gold Hill||Virginia City|
Early migration routes to and from Storey County, Nevada Genealogy for emigrant settlers included:
- Truckee (River) Trail 1844 crossed the Forty Mile Desert to the Truckee River to follow it west past Reno, Nevada to Donner Pass to Emigrant Gap to Sutter's Fort (Sacramento, California). The exact route varied over the years, the most used being the Nevada City Road and Auburn Emigrant Road combination.
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a collection of digitized Reno newspapers going back to 1870. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
3,980 marriages from 24 Feb 1862 to 12 Sep 1936 are listed on the Western States Marriage Index.
Societies and Libraries
Storey County Public Library
95 South R ST
Virginia City, NV 89440
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- National Park Service, "California Trail" (map) in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/upload/CALImap1-web.pdf (accessed 2 August 2011).
- Wikipedia contributors, "First Transcontinental Railroad" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Transcontinental_Railroad (accessed 2 August 2011).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Central Overland Route" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Overland_Route (accessed 4 August 2011).